Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kberke_gw

Disappointing tomato season

kberke
15 years ago

I'm a bit worried about my tomatoes this year. I've have a 12x12 garden in the back yard with a few melons, spinach (done until the fall), lettuce, carrots, asparagus and tomatoes. I started out with 4 plants from Lowes (2 cherry tomatoes, 1 early girl and 1 big boy(?)). Since the spring here in NW IL was so nice, I planted them at the end of April then covered them if necessary. (The cherry plants took some frost damage at the tip, but immediately began putting out new shoots lower so I left them in). After the nice spring, it started raining, and raining, and raining.... The garden didn't have much standing water, but it was soggy for quite a while.

The cherry tomatoes are stunted but do have some tomatoes forming. The other 2 plants however are now experiencing yellow leaves as well as whiteflies. I haven't pulled them yet since 1 does have a few tomatoes on it. The other has a whopping total of 1 tomato.

Should I pull the plant with only 1 tomato? It seems to be the worse of the infected ones. Or am I already doomed????

I saw a recommendation (on the disease board) to put out sticky yellow sheets to trap the whiteflies. Do you think it is too late?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Karen

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor