Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with tomato plants and disease

Posted by Pegart 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 12:59

Its getting worse day by day. I discovered the disease two days ago and removed all the affected branches from the tomato plants. I repeated yesterday and today. But today I found out that one of the plants had the same darkening on the main stem and I'm worried. I fear its mold/fungus, because it's been exceptionally rainy, humid and colder for the last two weeks (above average). It's the middle of the summer and we should have high temperatures - 30 degrees C (86 degrees F) and higher and lots of sunny days with an occasional short thunderstorm. For the last two weeks it's been from 20-25 degrees C (68-77 degrees F) and lots of rain.

And here are the pictures:

http://shrani.si/f/d/10Y/u9nkafR/2014-07-17-170116.jpg

http://shrani.si/f/3f/qt/39vxkTzk/2014-07-16-153149.jpg

http://shrani.si/f/1U/Wc/4kdZN2K0/2014-07-16-152019.jpg

http://shrani.si/f/1c/42/3b8M31Gn/2014-07-16-152046.jpg

My question is. Is there any way I can save the plants and how? Any chance to save the plant with the main stem infected? It has some nice tomatoes on and I would be bummed out if I had to discard them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with tomato plants and disease

I don't know what it is to help. For others it would help if you tell us if you have added any fertilizer or anything to the soil .

o

Did you look at the pictures? Doesn't that look like some disease or pathogen (mold/fungus)? Or did you mean that there is no hope at all with: "I don't know what it is to help."?

Just a "sparse" (small concentration) solution of fertilizer (but I don't know which/what as my great aunt gave it to me in a bottle with no label - supposedly some natural eco fertilizer. I didn't want to fertilize actually as I believe our yard soil is quite rich. Although contrary to my belief I did add some wood ash too. :P But I would not think that the problem is arising from fertilizing the plants as not all are affected (currently only 3 out of 14)...

o

Is there late blight in your area? If it is LB, I don't think there's anything you can do about the affected plants right now. For the ones unaffected, you might want to start a spraying program with a copper based fungicide.

o

I just meant that I don't have the knowledge to identify what is wrong.

o

Looks like late blight.
Facilitated by overhead water -- rainfall or from a "helpful" gardener -- during warm weather.
If so, you'll know soon enough because the plants die in short order.

o

It really might be late blight upon better inspection and reading about it on the internet. And yes, many people have the same problem. The weather last two months has been exceptionally good for molds and similar. Not so hot as it should be, lots of humidity and loads of rainfall.

So the best thing is to remove the affected plants to minimize the possibility of disease spreading to other plants?

Is there really no chance in them surviving this? And how long does it usually take for the sick plants to die off? A few days, maybe a week or a couple of weeks?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here