Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crlitberg

And Bloody Butcher wins the race

CaraRose
9 years ago

First color break sighted, on Bloody Butcher. Yay! Fresh tomatoes are coming!

Comments (9)

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

When did you plant out? I started transplanting my later varieties first, BB didn't get out until the 18th and they're starting to flower. Brandwines and Mark Twain went out first, BW has had flowers for a while Mark is starting and Black Krim has a lot of flower. Moravsky Div went in a day after BB and buds are just barely visible now.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Congrats, Cara !

My BB is going to finish 2nd. The winner in my garden is siletz. Color break, any day now. Stupice and Silvery Fir T are loaded with small fruits. All my tomatoes have small fruits.

• CaraRose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I planted weekend of the 18th.

Harvested my first pickle and slicer today too. Hurray summer! :)

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Wow, can't believe you're so far ahead. I seeded my cukes, squash and melons Mem Day but they took over 10 days to germinate, only got 1 cantaloupe and no watermelons so had to reseed. Little Leaf cuke plants are small, slicers are bigger, yellow squash plants mostly bigger than the cukes, and most of the zukes are larger and getting female flower buds but a couple plants are very small (incl. 1 I moved before it got 1st true leaf - not dead, but not growing any either).

I've got squash bugs and striped cucumber beetles already and saw my first SVB of the year (near the cantaloupe) today so hoping I actually get a harvest. Going to start backups inside this weekend.

But back to tomatoes - I've got flower buds on Rose de Berne, Moravsky Div and flowers on Super Sweet 100 now. We'll see which sets the first fruit, might be BW, but I'll bet on one of the others for first ripe fruit. Had to start weaving BW and Mark Twain today, others need to be tied to trellis ASAP.

• sheltieche
    9 years ago

Have plenty of zucchini here, I start them beg of May and transplant, this year I got Franchi seed of striped zukes and they are very nutty to taste, also first cuke today, pickle.
    Moravsky Div from container group wins and Sunsugar F1 from WOW group both broken color.
    Potatoes are getting done here too, flowered couple of weeks ago. Yay to summer!

• CaraRose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My pole beans are what's having the most issues. They keep getting chomped before they can start twining. I planted them between my summer squash when my squash were small, figuring they'd have vined up above the squash by now. I'm thinking of reseeding and putting a lot of repel all down around them.

My summer squash are big and I harvested about four squash so far. I already saw my first SVB moth, tried to wack it with a trowel but missed.

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

My pole beans are just starting to vine. Some of the bush beans look like they want to too (?).

Did you start your beans and cucurbits from transplants or direct-seed? Warm the soil with plastic? I'm wondering how ALL of your veggies are so far ahead of mine - I direct-seeded everything the usual time/soil temp, just the tomatoes and peppers have been transplanted over the past month (actually put in 19 more yesterday in the house garden, some unknown Burpee determinate that WASN'T Independence Day last year, DD had started some for science fair, plus more Best Boy, some more Latah, and 1 each of Gardener's Delight, Camp Joy, Dr. Carolyn, Galinas, and Green Doctor - b/c I only had 6 of each of the cherries planted out back).

I've lost count, I think I have about 175 tomato plants in the ground now. Plus 1 volunteer I left to see what it does - it has flower buds already.

Severe T-storms tomorrow, I moved the last of the starts into the garage just in case I have to replant. Will have to move the containers (I have 13 in 1-4 gal pots) off the edge of the porch back toward the house in the AM so they don't get swamped.

• CaraRose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I did transplants, not direct seeds. Started my cukes and squash indoors. The squash just exploded as soon as they got in the ground. Cukes were a bit slower but very quickly grew. Beans I direct seeded. I have raised beds, don't have any plastic or mulch. I worked in some fertilizer when I prepped the beds in the spring, did one liquid feed a month or so ago... The tomatoes I'd started were in 1 gallon nursery pots when I was able to plant them out. I started them in March.

I'm growing the toms this year SFG style, so I have them pruned to 1-2 stems and have each in 1sf. They've been doing quite well, though I am noticing some blossom drop on the brandywine and cherokee purple.

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Ah, so the tomatoes were pretty big (flowers?) when you planted them out. Mine weren't started that much later, but were in 4" pots as transplants so were maybe 6" tall, some may have been 8-10" but I planted deep.

No time today, but I will post pix on the picture thread this weekend. They're growing very thick stems, lots of leaves (had to take some lower leaves off when weaving yesterday). Took flowers off a few that had them (1 Gardner's Delight I planted yesterday actually had a small fruit).

I've got pretty good soil in most of my beds so I planted the peppers app. 15" apart, indeterminates 20-24", and determinates in 1 side bed (experiment) 12" apart. But that's in 8" of composted manure. The last 19 I threw in yesterday are also in compost (leaves and kitchen scraps) but 2ft apart since the bed's not very wide.