Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First tomato of the season

Posted by HotHabaneroLady 7a Central MD (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 13:00

I harvested the season's first tomato a bit early while it still had some green on the top because I wanted to make sure I got it before the birds did this year. My first is a yellow Azoychka tomato. I have grown red/pink varieties for several years, but this is my first yellow. And I like somewhat unusual plants, so I went with Azoychka for that reason and because it is a somewhat early ripening variety. And can I just say:

OH MY GOD!!! THAT WAS INCREDIBLE!!!

There's always something very special about the first one of the season. But this also just happens to be one good tasting tomato!! All the sweetness of a yellow tomato combined with the zesty zing of a lemon! I love it!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First tomato of the season

HHL, I'm so glad to hear that about Azoychka cause I'm growing it for the first time this year. Had terrible germination, only one seedling, and it initially looked like it was going to be a slow starter, but it's huge and I have a lot of fruit on it. Nothing close to eating yet, but I'm excited to try it!
Sharon

o

This is my first year growing Azoychka. I had more trouble germinating it than any other variety I can think of that I've ever grown. But once I gave it a little more warmth it improved. Still, the germination rates were lower than green zebra and mortgage lifter. So it was a pain.

But the taste is so incredible that it may have to be the first tomato variety that I grow every year! Normally I never grow the same variety twice in a row. :)

I hope you will let us know how yours turn out, and I really hope they turn out well for you!

Angie

o

You give me hope! I've decided that next year I will start my seeds on my heated bathroom floor.

o

I picked my first about a week ago. It was from a Bloody Butcher. Today I saw my Silletz are getting color , so are some of the Sun Golds. The next inline are Stupice and Silvery Fir Tree. It is about time !

Sharon, You me asked about BB taste in another thread. It was average. Meaty, not much juice (I like juicy tomatoes). The texture reminded me o Black Krim (not a juicy tomato either).
I know the early picks do not taste as good as they should. So I have try more to make a judgement.

o

Hi Seysonn, can't find the thread I asked you in, haven't had my coffee yet, lol! But how do you find the size of the BB's? They were on the small side for me. I'm definitely interested in how you like Stupice as it is on my list for next year, along with a few others of course. My early tomato this year is Miracle BPF and although it's got a lot of fruit nothing to taste yet

o

And today my first green zebras of the season came in! Very tasty, and they ar zesty as advertised. But the taste is still not nearly as zingy as the Azoychka tomato.

This is my first year for green zebras as well (I actually like to grow a completely new list every year, so all that I'm growing this year are new for me). But so far, they don't seem like a plant to grow every year as Azoychka does.

So far I only have three plants producing ripe fruit. I think my final total was 26 plants after I traded/gave away/lost some seedlings in the Spring. So I really need the other 23 to start joining in so that I can have enough to cook with, make salsa, dry, and just eat plain! As it is, I go out in the garden, harvest the 1-2 ripe tomatoes, and then eat them before I make it inside!

Angie.

o

Sharon,

Bloody butchers ARE on the small side, about 2 oz. I see some green ones maybe 3oz.
Yeah, BB, Matina, Stupice are just one step bigger than average cherry. I have Early Treat (hyb). They are about 3-4 oz. I like Siletz. So far ( 3 of them) consistently @ 6 oz.
My larger ones , Legend, Bush Steak, ML, CP .. are still green.

o

all I have gotten so far is a handful of ripe cherry toms - nothing else looking even remotely ready to blush - I am getting impatient.

o

I can't wait for the big ones to start turning ripe!!!

Angie

o

My indian stripe is blushing big time today so I think its gonna be my winner :)

Of course I've been getting sungolds and my grape tomatoes.

o

All green so far.
Dying for a nice Cherokee Purple.

o

As I expected, my first tomato is a 4th of July. I know I'm late...

o

And now my first Cherokee purple is in. The overall taste was just okay. It was kind of bland in comparison to green zebra and Azoychka. Now the only one yet to be tried is the mortgage lifter.

On the plus side, the University of Maryland Extension held an event yesterday that was mainly about tomatoes. The tomato plants they have growing in the master gardener's demo garden were not doing very well. Mine look a lot more vigorous than theirs. Their peppers look about the same as mine. And lots of people were talking about having a poor year for tomatoes and peppers.

I've been having a not-so-good year for tomatoes and a downright bad one for peppers. So hearing that and seeing the demo garden made me feel a lot better about my disappointing yields. Even my vigorous, 8 foot long tomato vines are producing limited fruits. But I guess it's not my fault if it's happening to everyone including the master gardeners.

Angie

o

Hey Angie,

Please give Cherokee Purple another chance. Perhaps it wasn't quite ripe? I was impressed with mine last year!

Linda

o

Oh there are more on the plant, and more will come. :) I'm only growing one this year because it was a last minute addition that I decided to put in a whisky barrel. It's not bad. It's just not as good as Azoychka, which still has me in heaven. :)

I went to a tomato contest yesterday. Cherokee purple got my vote for ugliest, but I found the taste very lacking. The one from my own plant actually had a more complex taste that I liked much better than the one in the contest. Carolina Golden got my vote for best tasting. :)

Angie

o

And now the first mortgage lifter of the year is in. And yum yum yum! A very good, classic tomato taste, with both zing and sweetness! It's hard to decide if I like it or green zebra better. But I think Azoychka is still my favorite. :)

o

Today I picked a few. They are all on the small side:

--- Bloody Butcher, Matina, Early Treat, plus:
--- Yellow grape and Sun Gold. But help is on the way. My Legends and Bush Steaks are blushing. They are in 8 to 10 oz range, I think.

Cherokee Purple, Mortgage Lifter , ...JBT are still taking their time.

My today's harvest:

o

I ate 2 SS100's today - not totally ripe but still good. The non-cherries are loaded, just not breaking yet. Maybe next week. I'm dying for a ripe tomato - any tomato that's more than a brief burst on the tongue!

o

Sorry to hear that you having bad year for tomato and peppers. Weather wise Chicago doing great and yields looking very good.
Have run out of canning jars which means I met my yearly quota but thankfully hubby is juicing fresh tomato juice and liking it.
As for CP taste many of those do improve late summer in my experience.

o

seysonn,

What variety are those green peppers?

Thanks!
Ron

o

The first BIG tomatoes for me were:

Anna Russian
Prudens Purple
Indian Stripe

All great tasting!

Black Early and Momotaro are ripening on the counter

No sign of ripening on Bloody Butcher?!?!?

Linda

o

My first big tomato: Rose tomato. 1 lb. 5 oz. Meaty, decent taste.

o

Our first was Cherokee Purple, we had it Wednesday night. It was a little on the bland side. Our second (we had it last night) was Bear Creek. It tasted about like the Cherokee Purple. I am wondering if it is either because we've had so much rain this summer, or because I am picking them at first blush and ripening them in the house, even though everyone says it shouldn't affect the flavor. The first Mortgage Lifter should be ready for eating in a few days (oh, happy days!) and something that was supposed to be Yoders Yellow but is round and red will be ready at about the same time. Still waiting on KBX, San Marzano, Lucky Cross and whatever the zebra-type tomato turns out to be to even start blushing. And also my little Foundling.

o

I've been nibbling a few SS100 and Sungolds, finally picked 1 that was supposed to be a Camp Joy but isn't (the orange and green one below) and a couple of Black Krims that were starting to turn (just so nothing got them before I did). The Bloody Butcher are coming. The other small (riper) ones underneath are from my cousin.

I did have a Grandma Mary's turn last week but it had BER - rain has been very inconsistent here, I really should water today but it's supposed to rain tomorrow and Wed, and nothing's wilting (except squash and I think that's SVB, didn't help when I watered those a few days ago).

o

Had my first CP! it was great! We haven't had much rain and I've been careful not to overwater. Tried my first Azoychka and I wasn't crazy about it so I'm hoping the ones ripening will be better.
Edie, ripening inside does not affect the flavor. If you've had a lot of rain, that would do it, taste wise. I bring mine in at the first sign to avoid splitting from rain, weak flavor and the squirrels.

o

Black Krim - I have to pick more tomorrow, expecting heavy rain Wed (guess I won't be going to market, not that I expect that many anyway).

I can't wait to taste these! We ate some cherry tomatoes today (SS100 and GD, Sungold need more ripening).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here