Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sgtstinkweed

white fuzz/spots on tomato leaves

SgtStinkWeed
9 years ago

About a week ago my younger tomato plants started getting this white fuzz,coating on the leaves. Im not sure what the heck it is, but I am ready for it to go. Ive never used anything beyond water and tomato spikes on them. Im New to fungicides/pesticides, also a bit weary since I dont want to use anything that could be harmful health wise down the road.

any tips on what this is and how i can deal with it?

http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/vv327/MechPilot2/WP_000401_zps6688ffc4.jpg

http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/vv327/MechPilot2/WP_000402_zps2dab2411.jpg

Comments (7)

• CaraRose
    9 years ago

Looks like powdery mildew

• Mike
    9 years ago

Powdery Mildew .. Follow the instructions on the link below, or simply google and you'll find all the help you need..
    Also, that soil looks VERY wet.. Not sure of the mix, but it looks like it'd benefit from some peat or coco .. I'm a fan of the latter... Good luck =)

Here is a link that might be useful: Powdery mildew

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    9 years ago

Yeah, looks like powdery mildew. Is your plant in a humid area without much ventilation. I've had it a few times on melon plants. IMO its hard to stop, but can be slowed down a little. Remove as many of the affected leaves as possible and spray with a fungicide.

• SgtStinkWeed
    Original Author
    9 years ago

yea it appears powdery milder is the culprit. I am also seeing some leaves getting chew marks.

can anyone recommend a good 3-1 spray? i see many. then I see the whloe "beware its a GMO" ect using google search. I just want a good spray that will keep the bad bug/fungi off.

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Hmmm not sure what "GMO" has to do with powdery mildew or its controls or why it should even come up. no correlation at all. But there are several good products recommended in the article Michael linked above. All are organic. Safer products are probably available to you locally.

Why do you feel you need a 3 in 1 spray (pesticide, miticide, fungicide)? None of them do a good job on any of the 3 things they are supposed to control simply because they are all mixed together and diluted. In this case what you need is a fungicide, just a fungicide.

Dave

• carolyn137
    9 years ago

There are two kindsof Powdery Mildew so I'm asksing where, specifically are you growing your tomatoes,in a geographic sense,such as coastal CA, coasta lFL, hot humid south with plants too close together or otherwise
    ,so it might help if you did that.

The treatment for both is the same,a good anti-fungal, but first take off and dispose of all affected foliage before you treat with any ant-fungals.

Carolyn

• SgtStinkWeed
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yep I did prune as much as i can, as for the whole GMO thing I dont even understand it, I just want to use a pesticide/fungicide that not going to have me keel over if i eat my own tomatoes lol. As for why I want a "3 in 1" spray is because I am a newcomer to gardening. Much like my mature plant paid the price when I just jumped into using miracle grow.

I see some occasional bite holes, and the powery mildew is indeed on my two youngest plants. But Im trying keeping it simple as possible. Thats why i went with the tomato spikes. Helped the Nitrogen burnt plant recover and flourish. Meanwhile keeps me error free.
    Also Im in the midwest,Nebraska to be exact. we've had some unseasonably friendly weather. Its late july and were are hitting 70s tops. Usually in the 90s. Sparse rain, but here in the midwest anythign we get...is usually too much lol.