Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jackman1944

Prime time

jackman1944
16 years ago

Anyone know anything about this hybrid?It is advertised to be a late and a high producer?

Comments (7)

• carolyn137
    16 years ago

All I know about it is probably the same that you do. That is, it's a Harris bred variety, one of the newer hybrids. I don't know of anyone who has grow it and reported back on it specifically.

But from those that like to grow Harris hybrids, and I'm one of them, taste-wise the faves still seem to be Supersonic and Jet Star, Moreton Hybrid no longer being sold. All three are a result of some of the earliest breeding efforts they did and as far as I'm concerned have some of the best tastes one will find in hybrids.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Primetime F1

• timmy1
    16 years ago

It's a great late deteminate with loads of 10+ oz fruit.

Taste is good also, seeds are small.

I have over 500 in that are just setting the first cluster.

• sunsi
    16 years ago

Dr. Carolyn Quote:
    "Moreton Hybrid no longer being sold"

I like the Jet Stars are the Moretons worth seeking out to find seeds somewhere are they as good as Jet Star in taste & production?

• tomakers
    16 years ago

I have grown Primetime for 4 years and find them to be a very good tomato. They are a LARGE late determinate which sets a good crop of delicious tomatoes, every one is perfect and uniform(about 10-12 oz.). Supersonic is still my favorite large tomato, but Primetime is really good too, it comes on when everything else is almost done.
    JMO,
    Tom

• carolyn137
    16 years ago

are the Moretons worth seeking out to find seeds somewhere are they as good as Jet Star in taste & production?

There's already a long thread here about Moreton Hybrid which I'm sure you can find with a quick scan or search.

Seed production for Moreton Hybrid has ceased.

The only seed you'll find is in the hands of some folks who already had some seeds, witness what you read in that long thread.

I sit here with a partially full pack of Moreton Hybrid seeds myself.

And yes, it was just as productive as Jet Star and Supersonic are.

Of those three that were hybridized so many years ago, my favoite is still Supersonic and seeds are still being sold.

Carolyn

• jackman1944
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, for all the answers.I have lots of blooms,but no tomatoes yet.
    Jackman

• jackman1944
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well,The Prime Time is 5 foot tall Has blooms,but want set fruit.It is in the same soil all the other 60 tomatoes are.The blooms open-up then they fall off.Was wondering if someone knows what's going on?
    Jackman

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting