Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
asherica

HELP! When will my tomatoes ripen?

Asherica
10 years ago

Hi there-- this is the first time I'm posting and the first season I am gardening. I planted in a self-made, raised garden bed the following: Zucchini, Cucumbers, Yellow Peppers, Roma and Grape tomatoes and Pole beans. My cukes, peppers, beans and zucchini are flourishing thus far. The tomatoes are growing great, very tall. I have a few bunches of tomatoes on each tomato plant, not very many new blossoms growing however. I feel like I have been waiting forever for the bunches of tomatoes to ripen. How long will this process take? I think the bed gets about 4-6 hours of direct sunlight/day. I do have a bit of a problem with cabbage loopers but I have been picking them off daily and it seems to be helping prevent further chomping of the leaves. Additionally, I have noticed in the past two weeks that the tomato plants, while they keep growing tall and green, the bottoms are turning yellow and eventually crisping up and dying. I have been thinning this area by pinching off dead areas.

Am I watering too much? Is there some fungus, disease? Not enough sun? Perhaps the soil quality isn't nutritional enough? All I know is the tomatoes aren't ripening. I think they have been there now for about 3-4 weeks. Impatience is setting in now! Please advise!

Comments (3)