Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tomato help please...

Posted by newbie-3 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 7, 13 at 13:30

i have a couple of questions.. 1st year doing tomatoes and think i am doing something wrong

1) i have (3) tomato plants, spaced around 24" apart.. are they still too close? it may be correct, but looking at this picture it seems congested, but may be normal

2) they've been planted for approx 2 months and they are still green.. they are the heinz, romas, and heirlooms.. the heirlooms are huge, but still green.. should all these be red by now? or will stay green for awhile and redden up here soon?

i appreciate the help.. thanks !!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tomato help please...

Yes they are awfully close, especially for using that type of cage. 3' spacing would be better next year. if you could give us the exact name of the varieties you planted it would help. There are several varieties of Heinz and "romas" and heirloom refers to the history of the plant not the variety.

As to turning red, it takes approx. 6-7 weeks from the time the fruit forms for it to ripen and turn red so you still have time to go. Be patient. :)

Dave

o

• Posted by bets z6A S ID (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 7, 13 at 16:57

Dave is rignt on all counts, but I'll add this: There are some heirloom and open pollinated tomatoes that don't get red. There are white ones, yellow ones, orange ones, the so called "purple" and "black" ones, and even some that are green when ripe. If you have a green when ripe, orange, yellow or white, you might be waiting a long time for them to turn red and they'd get over ripe. If you have one of the purple or blacks, you might think they have gone bad, when they haven't.

I'm just sayin'......

Betsy

o

Good point Betsy since we don't know the actual variety names.

Dave

o

Your location would help as well. Tomatoes only ripen between 58 and 85 DEG F. Temperatures outside those turn off the production of the ripening factors. Tomatoes require 1300 to 1400 Growing Degree Days (GDD) to ripen. Depending on the temperatures a given day can be 28 to 60. There is a formula that requires you to know the maximum and minimum temperatures. Any temperature below 50 DEG F does nothing for us.

o

I plant mine no more than 24" apart, but they never look this bushy....I stake them and also live north so now I have buds..no toms yet...all heirlooms many colours.this year I planted about
30...and gave away the same amount...cheers, martha/zucchini

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here