Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
labradors_gw

Hundreds and Thousands

labradors_gw
10 years ago

I've just been reading about this tomato which apparently bears "hundreds and thousands" of currant-sized tomatoes on plants that can be grown in hanging baskets. I wonder if anyone is growing it and would they recommend it?

I have a friend who is in England this week, and could possibly pick up some seeds for me. I hear they are difficult to find in N. America.

Linda

Comments (10)

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

As late as Feb 2013 they were being sold at Amazon but now out of stock.Seeds from Thompson and Morgan, so you might want to check the T and M website to start with..

At another site there are reports about it, it's been around sihnce 2012.

One person at the other site, from Finland, has grown them and made a seed offer there, now closed, and says to forget the thousands part, more like hundreds. LOL

How it compares to other red currants, generic or named I don't know.

Carolyn

• labradors_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Carolyn,

Since they are available here, I should probably be patient and wait for them to reappear on Amazon in the fall/winter.

Hundreds of fruit would probably suffice (Grin).

Many thanks,
    Linda

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

Linda, I goofed in mypost above, they've been available since 2010,not the 2012 I wrote above,so nothing new at all.

Carolyn

• lisound
    10 years ago

bought mine at NEseeds. called sweet pea.

I'm growing 2 plants this year and they do bear a lot of fruit but the tomatoes are very tiny. Skins seem a bit tough to me but overall not bad. they look cute in salads.

• labradors_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Lisound,

Many thanks for the info.

I Googled Sweet Pea and several vendors have the seed available, but none mention growing them in hanging baskets.

Tough skin doesn't sound great, but at least they won't be so prone to cracking.

Linda

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

Sweet Pea Currant is not the same as Hundreds and thousands and grows very differently.

There are lots of currant ones out there, S. pimpinellifolium, some named and some not/

Hope that helps,

Carolyn

• ncrealestateguy
    10 years ago

I grew a currant variety last year... plant grew nice, bit it is just a novelty tomato in my opinion... skin was very thick, so after two seconds of chewing, the "meat" was gone and you were left with only skin. It was also the first plant to get early blight, out of my 18 varieties. They are cute, but never again.

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

nc, true currants are a bag of seeds and have no meat,so I don't know what you were growing.

Since true currants are one of the species,S. pimpinellifolium, they also are extermely reistant to foliage diseases. I've grown several true currant varieties and have never seen them have foliage diseases and in the area where I am those are the most common diseases,not the systemic diseases.

What was the name of the currant variety that you grew last year? Just curious.

Thanks,

Carolyn

• lisound
    10 years ago

the sweet pea can be grown in a basket. That's pretty much what i did. let it grow up 2ft high from the pot and it waterfalls over the container. I have the planted pot sitting about 3 ft off the ground. I won't grow them next year. I thought my children would like them, but they like the super sweets and sungolds much better.

• ncrealestateguy
    10 years ago

Carolyn,
    It was the Sweet Pea Currant from TomatoFest. Like I said, it was the first to get Early Blight out of the 18 varieties grown.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida