Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newbie468

Name that tomato..

newbie468
9 years ago

Hello, all!

I was under the impression that I was growing "chocolate cherry" tomatoes, but apparently that is not the case. I bought the seeds online and have contacted the company but they are of no help. These tomatoes are much larger than my "large red cherry" tomatoes and more plum-shaped. Any ideas? I will include photos for reference. Thank you!

(Photo 1: The top two are the unknown tomatoes, the bottom one is a LRC.)

Comments (9)

• newbie468
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The plant itself is full of tomatoes! (4.5ish hours of direct sun, SFG, single-stemmed)

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Looks more like Brown Cherry or Black Mauri or Black Plum or one of the black/brown grape types - several so no way to know what it is for sure. But I'd agree that it isn't Chocolate Cherry. If you contact most of the reputable seed suppliers they will make good in it. Other online vendors, not so much.

So how do they taste?

Dave

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    9 years ago

I had a packet of "Chocolate Cherry" seeds that I planted last year and had the same results (I wish I'd kept the packet to know who sold those, but I didn't and I don't remember, sorry.) Definitely NOT Chocolate Cherry but the plum tomatoes didn't succumb to mold in the cold wet weather we had last year when we lost pretty much everything else, they had a good flavor and made great sauce. Have you tasted yours yet?

• aniajs
    9 years ago

FWIW, my vote would be for brown cherry; I grew a couple of those last summer. They were delicious, not too sweet but had a nice balance of sweet and acid.

• newbie468
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Black plum looks exactly like it, Dave, with the green shoulders and all, thank you. As for the company, they offered me replacements but I declined.

I just ate one and it was delicious! It was meaty and I detected a light smokey flavor as well, but I will let others try to make sure it isn't my imagination haha.

Thank you all for your replies. I cannot wait to make spaghetti sauce with these!

Here's a photo of a sliced one:

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Yeah Black Plum is a very good tomato, better than Choc. Cherry would have been IMO :) But do keep in mind that appearances can be misleading so we can't be totally sure that is what it is. Since you like it save seeds for yourself of course for next year. But please don't trade them as that name, oK? Call them PBP - "Possibly Black Plum". :)

Dave

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    9 years ago

That is nice looking and was about to suggest the same after seeing the pic...
    (And save some seeds). I don't usually grow plums after many bad years and watery bland fruit.
    Off my radar but might try that or similar next year.

• newbie468
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dave,

After tasting them and seeing how big they get (some are as big as small romas), I'm happy about the mix-up :) Will definitely save seeds.

Sleevendog,

This is my first time ever growing tomatoes/anything edible, but as far as I can tell these are nice and flavorful!

• seysonn
    9 years ago

After your own finding, I was also curious and google searched. There are zillions of pictures. Yours is 99% Black Plum.IMP

Another confirmation should come from the plants foliage , DTM, and growth habit.