Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
njitgrad

my unpredictable cherries

njitgrad
10 years ago

Side by side, both in fabric pots, both started from seed, both watered and fed identically, I have two cherries...a Gardener's Delight and Chadwick Cherry.

1) The GD has a 65 DTM, and the CC has 80-90 DTM.
Well, my CC just had a cluster start blushing today which is 63 days after transplant. Any explanation why the CC beat the GD?

2) I expected similar size fruit (1 oz), however a lot of the green GD fruit is already near or at golfball size. Is this characteristic of GD?

3) The GD is expected to reach 80" in height but the CC only 36-42". Both are about the same height well over 60". Any explanation for the CC height?

Comments (2)

• kathyb912_in (5a/5b, Central IN)
    10 years ago

I've never grown GD, but I grew Chadwick Cherry last year and whoever labeled it as 36-42" obviously never grew one. It was a HUGE plant, easily 8-10' by fall. It grew up over the top of a 6' privacy fence and down the other side, not to mention over the tops of all the other tomato varieties planted nearby. Per my 2012 notes, I picked my first ripe CC on July 15 following a May 14 transplant, so similar to what you're getting this year.

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    10 years ago

Here's an old discussion where the dtm of Chadwick Cherry comes up as 70-75 days. Gardener's delight is coincedentally mentioned but not its dtm. Cheers!

Here is a link that might be useful: Old discussion