Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tye Dye & Brandy Boy

Posted by barryla61 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 9, 11 at 13:39

I'm in VA zone 7.
I have 2 plants of each in my garden. Not impressed with either..
Brandy Boy plant is half the size of my other garden plants, set very few fruit and taste was only fair...
Tye Dye may be the most "flavorless" (is that a word?)and watery tomato I have ever grown. Tye Dye fruit is beautiful & clean.
We have had a wet spring and early summer so I'm sure this would attribute to the taste factor BUT my other tomatoes have good flavor.
Has anyone else grew the Tye Dye?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tye Dye & Brandy Boy

Never grown Tye Dye but have read mixed reviews on it.

That sure doesn't sound like Brandy Boy. It usually gets rave reviews. I'll post you a picture of a couple of my Brandy Boys later. They are easily 6' tall and have been producing very well. Flavor, like you said, is diluted by watering which is one reason why I don't water nearly as often as many seem to do.

Are these in ground or in containers?

Dave

o

• Posted by natal Louisiana 8b (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 9, 11 at 18:41

My Brandy Boys get very tall too. I love the flavor! They've become a standard in my kitchen garden.

o

Never grown Brandy Boy, but Tie Dye has been great. Not the best tomato in the garden: low production, thick peels, variable taste that is to the tart side rather than sweet. BUT oh, man are they lookers. No other tomato jazzes up a caprese salad like some nice Berkeley Tie Dye slices!

o

I picked my first two in ground tomatoes today and one was a Brandy Boy. Havent tasted it yet. The two in ground BBs are nice plants. Both set about six large tomatoes about a foot from the ground. One hasnt set any fruit above that. Three feet away, the other has 4-6 small fruit three ft up from the first big cluster. The tomatoes are gonna be a little rough shaped and I already know that I prefer the Estler Mortgage Lifter unless the taste is really all that. My two BB plants have about sixteen fruit approx. Most of the EML plants have 10-12 to a plant and many look to be 12-16oz fruit.

o

My Brandy Boy is about 6' tall and getting some nice fruit even though it's been quite hot. You can almost tell when we had the cooler weather by the "band" of tomatoes at certain intervals on the plant.

BB is a potato leaf. If yours isn't, Barry, that would be a clue.

Gail

o

WHich Tye Dye are you growing? Seeds form Brand Gates of Wild Boar Farms who developed it or the faux Tye Dye that Burpee was peddling that got a lot of folks very upset?

Carolyn

o

I think it is the Burpee. I got the plants from a greenhouse.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here