Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
farpar_gw

Too Wet and too Cold

farpar
9 years ago

We live 30 miles Southeast of Cleveland. Constant rain and "cold" temperatures sometimes in the high 50's or mid 60's at night. I have a variety of tomatoes, hot peppers, green peppers, basil, and zucchini.

Tomatoes aren't really producing that much - 5 to 6 per plant. Only vegs that are doing well are Hungarian hot peppers, zucchini, and green peppers.

Ghost peppers also don't like the weather which is understandable.

Anyone else in the zone 6 having problems? I have been gardening for over 30 years and I would classify this year as one of the worse that I have experienced.

Frank

Comments (8)

• dbrown2351
    9 years ago

I live near Dayton and it's not been a great year for tomatoes, although things are coming along now, late.

Way too much rain , clouds, and cool nights.

Just the last week we have had some hot sunny days and the garden likes it.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Welcome to the club !
    Probably your weather is much better than mine here in the PNW, Seattle are. Here is our weather today.

• jimmy56_gw (zone 6 PA)
    9 years ago

Not very good weather in the PNW, Here in PA it's been really good so far, 80's during the day an 60's at night.

• planetes
    9 years ago

To be fair Seyson, this is just a brief rain snap for us. Our weather goes back to the 80s this weekend.

The Cold/wet thing is something we deal with a LOT outside of July, August, and the first half of september though.

General advice: be extra vigilent about fungal diseases. They LOVE that weather.

• Deeby
    9 years ago

Oh, to have it chilly, cloudy and raining hard ! Right now I'd love that !

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Actually starting July 7 or so, we had 2 weeks of summer like weather . moved from GA, I loved it. Now suddenly temps drop 25 degrees and worse than that our night lows are just never kicks up, mostly in 50s. I planted out as of mid April, on down to early May. My plants have been very healthy but VERY slow in growing and ripening fruits. I can only blame cool weather for it.

Yeah, thanks planetes. for your reminder . I will do my 3rd anti fungal spray when it dries up.

Deeby, I understand your side of problem. Too much of anything is no good.

Ok. On the positive note: here is my first major harvest . LOL

• kenzo
    9 years ago

I feel like here in Philly we have had relatively good tomato weather - intermittent heavy rains, not too hot. I did not yet get the horrible mid-summer blossom drop that usually stalls all tomatoes.

Yet my t'maters are not great, I can only chalk it up to culture and genetics trying to figure out what went wrong with some plants.

• happyhelper
    9 years ago

I live just North of Columbus, OH. Out of 80 tomato plants, I probably have around 30 that have survived. Way too much rain! I pretty much had this problem last year so I planted tomatoes in two different locations and about 10 in large containers. I will have plenty to can, I think. It is just a shame to see beautiful tomato plants die. I raise them from seed and they are really, really nice when I put them in the ground.
    I think my garden needs about (5) semi loads of top soil to raise it up about 12 to 18 inches.