Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sue_ct

When can I spray Daconil?

sue_ct
11 years ago

I have noticed some fungal disease on lower leaves and am concerned since it is really early in the year for me to be seeing problems. I really want to start Daconil soon but It is forecast to be in the upper 80s to mid 90s for a week and Daconil says not to spray when it is "during extremely hot and sunny weather". I don't want to cause more damage. Can I spray in late afternoon when the garden is in shade or do I have to wait until the heat wave goes away? That might be a while.

Comments (8)

• robeb
    11 years ago

You can spray in the evening when the sun starts to go down.

I spray once a week no matter what the daytime highs are. I sometimes spray early in the morning as my plants get no direct sun until just before noon.

You never want to spray during hot direct sunshine.

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Agree. Early AM. Never in the direct sun and never in the heat of the day.

Dave

• sue_ct
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Guys. Won't spray in the heat of the day, but will do it this evening. I like to sleep a little later on my days off. :)

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    9 years ago

I also want to add :
    Don't wait until you get fungal/ bacterial disease !
    Now that the season is about to begin, I promise my self to spray religiously on schedule, about twice monthly. I have Daconil and Neem on hand. I might alternate (never mix).

Seysonn

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    9 years ago

Bump

I like to keep this thread on top.

The subject is very helpful, as preventive measure.
    As the proverb says:

AN OUNCE OF PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN A POUND OF CURE.

Seysonn

• centexan254 zone 8 Temple, Tx
    9 years ago

I start with it on day one outside when hardening off. Weekly after that. If it rains as soon as things are dry, and I know it is not going to rain again I spray again. Last year I was not proactive in using it like I should have been. At the end of the season it showed. Most of my plants looked awful from septhoria. A couple of the plants seemed to be oblivious to it, and kept growing, and putting off tomatoes. They were cherry varieties. The one plant I started in late summer, and was proactive with the use of fungicide looked great, and produced great. It is rainy outside as I type. As soon as it dries up I will be spraying all of my plants again.

A few people I know that only grow a plant or two will not use anything as they are too cheap to buy it. They wonder why they should be using something that cost them more than the plant did. They tend to also be the ones that plants start going down hill after only putting out a couple of tomatoes.

Seysonn I agree on the prevention part. After septhoria starts there is no cure. Fungicide may slow it down. Though my experience with after the fact treatment was that when it starts there is no real slowing it down. Some plants will outgrow it. Some will look like crap. I am going proactive this year, and keep a gallon premixed. All I have to do is shake, pump, spray. Then put the sprayer back up. I know that between $10 for the sprayer, and $15 for the Daconil it is $25 well invested, and the Daconil will probably last me into next year.

• jbann23
    9 years ago

Try to hit all of the plant when spraying your Daconil. One year I sprayed only the bottom half of my tomato plants and not the new growth. You can figure out the rest. Get the bottom of the leaves too. Spray enough that it begins to run off the leaves. When it dries it seems almost impervious to rain (key word "almost") It's great stuff and really does work well. Use it on any of your plants that are susceptible to fungus.

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    9 years ago

Yeah, Jbann. I try to spray both bottom and top of the foliage, plus the stems. starting from ground up.

Seysonn

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor