Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathy9norcal

Preventing BER in containers

kathy9norcal
9 years ago

Sorry if this question has been asked too many times. I am new to this forum this summer.

My Cherokee Purple has lost every ripening fruit so far to BER. I want to know how to avoid or prevent this next year. I am guessing it is too late this year.

I know the potting soil isn't the best but it is too late to fix. I used Kelloggs potting soil but mixed in some ground wood chips and garden soil (only about a third)--my bad! I have fertilized with miraclegro occasionally, alternating with a tomato granular fertilizer, have added azomite mixed in water a couple of times, too. I live in a very hot dry climate and water the tomatoes every day--really have to. The pot is a large tapering one with one tomato in it. The pot is pretty big. The plant is over 5 feet and looks perfectly healthy. I have lots of tomatoes but had to remove about 15 with BER so far. I am so sad as this tomato is supposed to taste great. Will I never get to taste one?

SO, can BER be prevented from the start, so I can do things right next year? (My Sungold and Green Zebra and Black Prince, while smaller than listed, are all producing well. Juliet got some BER in the beginning only.)

Comments (5)

• carolyn137
    9 years ago

Kathy, there's a search feature at the top of the page and when I enter BER containers I get a lot of links here that I'm sure will be useful to you and I've linked to that search link below.

Hope that helps,

Carolyn, just saying, and you know it, but what you put in that container is not the best that you can do. And when you get better stuff like artificial mix in your containers, remember that what amendments that you add get flushed out rapidly with water, so you have to add calcium on a regular basis.

Here is a link that might be useful: BER and containers

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Preventing it in containers is a real problem even with an ideal container mix as the primary issue is keeping the soil moisture levels consistently moist vs. wet then dry then wet etc. And keeping the nutrients levels, especially calcium distribution as the fruit is developing consistent as well.

The smaller the container the harder it is to do, the larger the container the easier it is to do - one reason why using nothing less than 10 gallon containers per plant is often recommended and why even larger is better. Using an automated drip irrigation system for watering and feeding also helps. Even using self-watering containers can eliminate much of it. And of course, the container mix used plays a big role.

Then there is the type of plant chosen when you are forced into far less than ideal conditions - cherry varieties pose much less of a BER issue than the large or plum type do.

So you started out with at least two strikes against you, maybe 3 without knowing the size of your container.

A couple of things you can do to improve the odds is (1) switch to a liquid supplement like MaxiCrop Liquid Seaweed or Earthjuice (only 2 of many available) or you can stick with your MG diluted in water since you have it. Liquids work 10x better in containers than any granular or powder does. Use that supplement at least once week when watering the plant. You can also dilute it to 1/4-1/2 strength and use it 2-3x a week as needed.

Then (2) change your watering regimen. You say it must be watered daily? If that is true it would be very unusual and either your container is far too small or you are over-watering. Stick you hand deep into the soil down to the root level, do NOT go by the surface appearance. If it is at all cool of moist, don't water. (3) Mulch the container heavily to prevent evaporation. (4) split your watering into 3-4 doses rather than all at once. (5) set the container in some sort of tray or base if possible so it can absorb water from the bottom - make it as self-watering as possible.

Hope this helps.

Dave

• kathy9norcal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dave, thanks for your reply. My pot is 16 inches across on top, 13 inches to the soil level, and tapers to 10 inches on the bottom. I have it mulched with bark chunks. In our near 100 or 100 temps, I assumed everything needed watering daily. I also thought that if I let it dry out more, it would be considered inconsistent watering as it would be wet one day, drying out the next day (with no watering.)

I will try your suggestions. I tried using big trays under some of my tomatoes and Juliet filled up with water, didn't suck it up, and started dying from drowning. I siphoned it out but she is all brown on top. It seems I can't do the right thing with these guys! My roses are wonderful, my daylilies, too. My tomatoes are struggling and not a success!

• bigpinks
    9 years ago

I have 3 plants on the driveway about 2 weeks old. They are about 2 weeks into the 5-1-1 recommended by Al on the container forum. Mine are big because they were suckers from my garden but Al says that some BER is nearly unavoidable. I put a little lime in the mix like he recommends and when tomatoes first appear I water in a very little bit more to supply the calcium. Last fall I had two plants from suckers and no BER whatsoever.

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    9 years ago

IMO it also affects larger tomatoes more than smaller ones. My container Stupice and Rutgers are ok, but the Brandywines are a problem. I'm going to start slamming it with calcium and hope for the best.

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor