Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fireduck

Tomatoes...and the refrigerator

fireduck
9 years ago

There is really a nice article in today's LA Times. It talks about the influence that refrigerators have on different fruits/veges. In short, it states that tomatoes should never be put in the frig. The study showed the frig negatively affected "fruity-floral aromas and sweetness. I had heard this before.

Comments (15)

• jean001a
    9 years ago

Was verified many years ago. But numerous folks haven't yet heard the facts.

• fireduck
    Original Author
    9 years ago

J...it was interesting to read the way different fruits and veges are impacted. Not all are created equal. haha

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Yeah. That is an age old know thing about tomatoes.
    But storing melons in frig, make them even sweeter, i think.

• Deeby
    9 years ago

IMO, cold tomatoes are sickening. Ugh.

• hudson___wy
    9 years ago

We are throwing out opinions here - who cares about the refrigerator test - once one is informed - the test the matters is your own taste buds! For me - a refrigerator fresh eaten cold tomato or cold tomato sandwich on a hot summer day is awesome!! I love cold cherry tomatoes in a salad too. Heck, I like them not refrigerated too but a refrigerator has never ruined a tomato for me - I prefer them cold most of the time!!

• fireduck
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hudson...Based on people's responses here...I guess many people are interested in a "refrigerator test". I see you have a strong opinion on the matter. "once one is informed" as you say, one would understand the science behind why tomatoes lose flavor or fail to obtain flavor when refrigerated. Much of that is addressed in the article...along with other interesting things involving other fruits and vegetables.

• Deeby
    9 years ago

Hudson, I'm unfriending you. (Just kidding)

• hudson___wy
    9 years ago

Come-on Deeby - we can still be friends - just put one in the fridge for me and one on the counter for you - haha.

I don't dispute what the fridge does to the taste of a tomato Fireduck - just saying - knowing that - doesn't change the fact that I prefer cold tomatoes most of the time - but that doesn't stop me from eating them off the vine in the GH - haha It is a good thing we can eat them the way we like them - regardless what science tells us!!

• lilsprout
    9 years ago

Here's my 2 cents...

Refrigerated tomatoes taste like store bought....YUCK!!

• ZachS. z5 Platteville, Colorado
    9 years ago

I am with Hudson, in a round about way. I put tomatoes in pasta and regular salads, and in mac-and-cheese etc... I don't pick them out when I stick the left overs in the fridge, and I think those cold tomatoes are pretty tasty (better then room temp? Time for a taste test!). I do admit, I don't store tomatoes in the fridge, but now that I think about it, I just might though.

• Deeby
    9 years ago

We're losing Zach..... No, Zach, noooooooooooo !

• ZachS. z5 Platteville, Colorado
    9 years ago

Well, if Zach Schiff is not a man of compromise, then he is nothing.

So, Deeby here's what I propose: I will only put half of my tomatoes in the fridge. And, if I wind up liking them better cold....I just wont tell you what I do with the other half ;).

• bibbus 7b
    9 years ago

So, I brought three tomatoes home from the store (mine are not ripe yet) and they started getting over ripe. So I chopped them up and put them in the fridge. I think they will taste better than going bad on the counter...

• Deeby
    9 years ago

Zach, OK, it's a deal ! Bib, at least tell me they're for tacos. Or salad. But still...

• jimmy56_gw (zone 6 PA)
    9 years ago

I prefer mine in the fridge, Taste just as good but mine don't last long in the fridge, Maybe a day or 2.