Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenniedhs_7_tn

Hopefully not Late blight

Jennie Sims
10 years ago

Late blight has been reported in Guilford county where I live. I can't get to the County extension until next week to see what I have going on with my Aunt Ruby's German Green. I am hoping this isn't Late blight. I have been spraying with Daconil, but it rains every day so most of it washes off. It has been a very rainy summer here in NC. Almost all the lower branches have been removed and looked like the leaves in the picture. Whatever this is does not seem to be effecting the stems or fruit yet. But it is quickly going up the branches. Could anyone help me ID what disease this may be? The plant is in a 15 gallon container and I fertilize weekly with MG. Thank you for the help. Jennie

Comments (9)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

I admit it looks suspicious. However you say there is no stem symptoms and that would be very unusual with LB IME. Plus I expect to see a darker black coloration with LB. Also, how long has the plant been showing these symptoms? LB will take the whole plant down in days, not weeks.

The leaf tip damage looks more like some sort of chemical damage. Tip turn and burn, random leaves affected, leaflets on the same branch showing healthy growth vs. damage on a nearby one. So how often have you been spraying the Daconil? Using the recommended dilution? Have you sprayed the plant with anything else?

Ultimately the choice is going to be yours. If you have other plants that are NOT showing these symptoms then is it really worth hanging on to this plant? When in doubt err on the side of caution.

Otherwise more details might help.

Dave

• Jennie Sims
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Dave. It is very suspicious to me also. We are spraying once a week with the recommended amount. Fertilizing every week also. my first year container gardening. but it has rained every day for about an hour or
    two. Thankfully they are in pots. It will be difficult but not impossible to remove this plant from the area. I'll take the effected branches to have it diagnosed for sure, but think I need to segregate it from the rest. Oh I hope I don't lose everything.

• Jennie Sims
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dave, I went out this morning to look at the plant. If late blight progresses very quickly then this may not be late blight as it has been going on for about two weeks. This morning it had not progressed at all. I don't think this is damage from the daconil, as all 21 plants were sprayed with the same concentration. However, the plant directly behind this one and closest to the neighbors yard is showing definite signs of herbicide drift. But this does not look like herbicide damage to me either. (I have had 2-4D damage on my plants the last two years, so I know what it looks like) Another possibility, could this be signs that I am not watering enough? I am new to container gardening and the mix I am using drains extremely well. What may be a lot of rain to inground plants may not be enough for containers. Earlier my Cherokee purples had some sort of wilt going on and I felt like an idiot when I figured out I wasn't watering enough. Since then I have had the drip system turned on to water daily, so I don't think it is that. But I will segregate this plant until I figure out what is going on. Thanks again Dave for your input.
    Jennie

• Stellabee
    10 years ago

Hi Jennie, I have something that looks just like that on my plants. It's been there for at least six weeks now. I thought I had late blight about six weeks ago too. I was very disturbed about it.

I think it's just some type of leaf mold but not sure. I controlled mine by putting an application of copper on it followed by neem sprays every 7-10 days.

• Jennie Sims
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Whatever this is, it has reached the top of the plant. Stems and fruits are totally unaffected. I'm trying to hang on to it until the fruits ripen, I really do like Aunt Ruby's German Greens. But the plant has been so defoliated that the fruit will probably be sun burned. Not affecting any of my other plants, even those that were close to it.

Jennie

• Jennie Sims
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What is this?

• lexiegurl09
    10 years ago

I would like to know also because I had a black cherry this year go down with it and a black cherry last year die with it. Fruit is perfectly fine and main stem is fine. If anyone has any answers that would be great!
    BTW I live on the coast of NC, so similar area.

• thebutcher
    10 years ago

I am no expert at all, but it may help to show a photo of the container used (and is it Pot or Fabric ect...) and what kind of Mix that you used.

I noticed in my containers the fabrics drain really quick and the ones I have in plastic are slower.

• Jennie Sims
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Plants are in 15 gallon black plastic nursery pots with 5 parts pine fines, 1 part peat and 1 part perlite. I think for NC I need to up the peat next year to retain moisture. I have all plants on a drip irrigation that daily delivers 2 gallons per pot. Now with the 90 degree heat am adding a second watering in late afternoon. If it is suffering from too little water why are none of the others? Lexiegirl I have studied all the plant diseases on line and I don't know what this is. It most resembles drought injury, but does ARGG need more water than others? I will really feel dumb if this is too little water.