Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Key ingredients for container soil/mix for tomatoes?

Posted by jbrickm 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 25, 10 at 14:29

This is my first year of tomato gardening. All my plants are in large 25-30 inch containers (At least 20 gallons)

As a newbie, I used ready made mixes - mostly Miracle Gro and some pots with an organic soil mix that I bought at a local nursery. The results are okay but nowhere near the production I've seen people talk about here.

I'm ready to plant some tomatoes for Fall, but this time I'd like to ensure that my potting mix has all necessary ingredients.

I have big bags of Sphagnum Peat Moss, Perlite, Mushroom Compost and sand. What other ingredients should I consider? Someone told me that I may need to use some dolomitic lime to balance off the acidity of the peat.

Any suggestions? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Key ingredients for container soil/mix for tomatoes?

Visit the Container Gardening section. That's what it is all about.

Not that I always agree with the suggestions, but they seem to work for most people. I use a mixture of very silty dirt, used potting mix (grew seedlings in it), and compost along with a small amount of green and brown leaves. I also bury my containers which keep the mix from drying as quickly.

YMMV,

Mike

o

This is my recipe: (works for peppers too)

one shovel full each:
garden soil
peat moss
perlite
compost

two handfulls of ironite
two handfuls bone meal
moisture crystals (optional)
two handfuls of lime
two handfuls of triple super phosphate

Of course, you need to ramp up the recipe for many plants. For containers, I would add another shovel or two of perlite (or vermiculite).

I mix this in a kiddie pool.

o

Below is the link to container gardening forum.

There is where the ins and outs of container gardening differnces are debated and analyzed. You will be glad you stopped by.

see ya there.

d

Here is a link that might be useful: container gardening forum

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here