Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thebutcher_gw

Can anyone identify what varmit bit my mater

thebutcher
10 years ago

Can anyone identify what varmit bit into my mater? I see a few more like this.

Also how do I prevent this or make it less of a chance? I have alot of birds near my yard thanks to all the lovely neighbors putting out there bird feeders.

Thanks all in advanced,

- Mr Beno

Comments (5)

• uncle_t
    10 years ago

From the look of that overbite...I didn't know my mother-in-law was visiting Philly.

Seriously though, most birds perceive colour and are attracted to ripened fruit.
    How high off the ground are the fruits in question? Rabbits don't usually go for unripened toms. Racoons will leave a telltale mess, often dropping fruit on the ground and breaking branches.

My guess is squirrels, especially if there's a bird feeder next door.

• uncle_t
    10 years ago

In the event of squirrels, lay a heavy mulch under the plants and spray only the mulch with a vinegary, hot pepper solution (Like a homemade 'Frank's' hot sauce--add lots of dried chiles). that heavy vinegar stench wafting from the mulch should keep them away...until it rains.

Btw Mr. Beno, how are those cherry bomb peppers doing?

• tomatomike
    10 years ago

That was caused by a caterpillar. It is typically smallish and black with yellow stripes. What has happened is it munched on the tomato in a place not readily noticeable and the tomato grew some more, healed up some of the damage and the open would enlarged to where you could see it. Best to just pick that one off. Throw it in the trash to make sure if the critter is inside that it doesn't get loose.

• thebutcher
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all

The tomato was about 5ft high Uncle T, the others about 4ft. As far as them Cherry bombs I will post a new photo thread on hotpepper. I just put themsome in new in fabric pots I just got.

@tomatomike thanks, for the response, I just hope to get this thing :). I thought it could be a catipillar. only one way to see. I am setting my GoPro camera out to film for a few hours.

I really want to go after this varmit "Bill Murry style from cadyshack". Last year we did have a squirrel problem and many years before as well. But this year a huge red bird "Not Cardinal" but has been sitting on the fence and lives in the tree next door, it has a redish orange belly.

Out of my own stupidity I just sprayed Wd-40 on the fence before I read the replys, someone at the garden shop said it prevents birds if that is the culprit but who knows.

I will take everyones advice and thanks again both for replying. I posted a video of my squirrel problem last year. with my GoPro camera. The squirrel kept coming into my back yard and was trying to see what he was doing.

Edit on: Tomatoe in trash thanks again both :) Just hope it is not an inlaw as Uncle T said

Here is a link that might be useful: my squirrel problem last year

This post was edited by thebutcher on Tue, Jul 9, 13 at 19:02

• thebutcher
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry for double post, but I just set up the gopro to see what happens aimed at where it happened. If it is a catepilar then it would make sense why the birds were watching. Trying to see if that varmit goes for anything. :)

PS Uncle T that last black bag is one of the Cherry Bombers.

- Mr Beno