Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prachi_gw

Are all black cherry toms equal?

Prachi
9 years ago

So about this time of year of course I am starting to think about what am I going to grow next year. (whats getting added/subtracted etc.)

Last year I great a black cherry on a total whim.. found a burpee brand transplant at a local nursery and gave it a shot. It was prolific but really didn't taste like much so I dropped it this year (very bland!!).

But I am seeing all these posts about how people love their black cherry tom.... and I saw a youtube video recently where his black cherry looked much different than mine (mine had greenish shoulders his was a total dark red/marroon color). And I was thinking of adding another "small fruited" next year.

WOndering if I should try them again from some other seller (probably tomato growers supply??) or just move on?

I've attached a pic of my small fruited varieties from last year (ignore the sungold and grape toms ).

Comments (10)

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Are all red cherry tomatoes equal? :) All pinks?

No way! Going to grow them from seed? Don't know what variety you grew but try Black Cherry again and also consider Chocolate Cherry and Indigo Blueberry.

Dave

• carolyn137
    9 years ago

If you had true Black Cherry I think you'd know why so many folks love it.

My suggestion is to get seeds from the source, that's TGS b'c Vince Sapp, now deceased, is the one who bred it. His wife Linda Sapp still runs TGS.

The link below is to Tania's wonderful website where you can see pictures, comments from others and when you click on Seed Availability you'll see a huge number of seed vendors that list it for sale. And that attests to the popularity of the variety.

You asked are all black cherries the same, and from what you said in your first post I assumed you were referring to the variety Black Cherry, But yes, there are some other black cherries with diffeent names.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Cherry

• labradors_gw
    9 years ago

I have grown black cherry and it's much blacker than yours. Everybody raves about it, so I kept growing it, but really didn't think much of the taste. Mine was bland too.

Linda

• bggrows
    9 years ago

After viewing Carolyn's link, I am now wondering if I really have a black cherry. My one plant of BC is very vigorous and loaded with fruit but the fruit are oval. The first one is beginning to show color of a rusty brown. It was marked black cherry. Does this sound like it may not be a black cherry?

• carolyn137
    9 years ago

bg, the fruits of most of the dark colored cherries I know of, such as Chocolate Cherry, Brown Berry and Black Sweet , which isn't, and Black Cherry are round.

The only one I know of that's different is Kazachka, which I happen tol ike very much, and some plants will give round cherries and some will give mini-beefsteaks. Save seeds from one of those and again you get the two kinds.

My seeds from Andrey in Belarus and when I asked him about it he said he got the same.

Below I'm linking to Brown Berry b/c it also has links to some of the others I mentioned. Black Pearl is a Burpee F1 knock off of Black Cherry.

Sometimes hot weather can slightly change the shape of fruits on a plant, but with only one plant and growing it for the first time that would be hard to tell,

If your plant was labelled Black Cherry where did you get it from, if you feel comfortable sharing that information,

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Brown Berry and friends

• Prachi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much Carolyn! I had no idea black cherry was from TGS.

This year was my first year ordering from TGS, and I was very happy... so it looks like they are going to be getting another order from me next season :)

Dave... I was going to find room to try a indigo next year (in addition to the black cherry)... I had a chance to try the indigo rose and liked it... still deciding which indigo to get.

• bggrows
    9 years ago

Carolyn, I am in Kentucky and have bought plants, with great success, from the same place for years that has been here for decades.
    I had my list from GW favs to try this year in addition to my favs. I have 16 plants in my raised beds suburban garden.
    I was happy to find Sungold and Black Cherry this year. The Sungold, which I love, is true to tag. I have about 8 plants I have no idea what they are. They are nothing like the tags.
    What a disappointing year to have gone through heat induced blossom drop and now I am growing some strange tomatoes. At least I have a couple Black Krim and one Big Beef that I can identify as true to the tag.
    I am an old gardener and have never experienced this before. Oh, what surprises we deal with from time to time.

• barrie2m_(6a, central PA)
    9 years ago

Carolyn linked to a similar Brown Berry but some of us reported in a different thread of non typical fruits of this name. Of 4 plants I planted only 1 has brownish fruits, others are red and all are ounce size. Lesson here is to be careful of the source and expect anything. Also with Indigo Blue Berry that Dave mentioned I have one plant producing yellow cherry tomatoes with a dark ring at the top. Flavor is OK though.

My customers love Black Cherry tomatoes as much as SunSugar and SunGold. Steelers fans in our area like the mixed boxes.

• carolyn137
    9 years ago

First to make a correction on Tania's page,link below.

Brown Berry was not first offered at Sahin ( correct spelling) seeds in the Netherlands, it was bred by them. The owner at the time was Kees Sahin, whom I knew well, and they also bred Bloody Butcher and a few others that some folks would recognize.

I don't remember seeing any comments about this one not being true to type, but I do know it was stable from the get go, so any problems with offtypes I would think relate to the specific seed source(s).

Did any of the folks mention where they got their seeds for Brown Berry from?

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Brown Berry

• bigpinks
    9 years ago

I have two plants of Choc Cherry and they are doing well and producing lots of large round fruit that I think tastes grrrrrreaat! I had Black Cherry 2012 and 2013 but no luck.