Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
njitgrad

no new blooms and fruit running low

njitgrad
10 years ago

Starting to get worried here...some of my indeterminates (Black Krim especially) are running out of fruit already (they were scarce to begin with) and I see no new blooms.

Being that indeterminates are supposed to produce for an extended period of time is there any reason to think they won't resume production at some point as long as the plant appears healthy? I just fed all of my plants two days ago following a three week feeding schedule.

Comments (8)

• bggrows
    10 years ago

Exact same is happening to my Black Krim. The plants are pushing 8' tall. Had really good fruit set early June and those are ripening. The upper 4' have no blooms. Seems to have started after weeks of rain and then very high temps. Kinda a repeat of the last 2 years, but I had ripe tomatoes for Thanksgiving last year.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Indeterminate plants do produce for extended periods of time but not continuously. They produce in cycles of approx. 6 weeks in length - vegetative growth, bloom and fruit set, ripening, then vegetative growth again. Weather can easily affect the cycles just as nutrient levels can. You can't control the weather effects but since feeding triggers a vegetative growth cycle, it needs to be timed to the cycles of the plant as much as possible. That's for in ground plants.

Container plants need much more frequent feeding of course and that is one reason why they never can produce as much as in ground plants - skewed cycles. You can overcome that problem somewhat by using well diluted liquid fert feedings weekly as we do with fertigation to maintain a consistent low level of nutrients rather than a blast of them but still not as good production as with in ground plants.

Dave

• bkraz
    10 years ago

I have never grown Black Krim, but if I could I would send you some of our blooms - I'm swamped. Pump those phosphates up before your plants start to bloom on their own and you should have an abundance of flowering encouragement in the soil to last you all the way through. A good organic bone meal product is excellent for this.

Depending on the species, though, you still might get a small break here or there if you have a long growing season. Also, be careful not to over-feed the plants the wrong nutrients at the wrong time. If you've got large, lush plants with few flowers, or if you're noticing that your plants are growing taller and thicker during this time when you're not seeing new blooms, those situations would kinda point to this.

If so, scale back your usage of fertilizers rich in Nitrogen. MG's product is really good, but sometimes I just have to force the issue and switch to products that are unbalanced towards P and K to produce results.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I have different problem with Black Krim. Mine is very healthy, over 6ft tall, thick main stem and branches, lots and lots of blooms, BUT no fruits in sight. The oldest cluster has something like a lentil size. It has been the same for weeks. Same goes for Brandywine. Geeee !
    But my Early Girl, on the other hand, is loaded both with fruits and flowers. The all are in the same soil/bed, fed/watered the same, same amount of sun, etc.

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    10 years ago

Your plant is probably taking a mid-summer break, and will begin producing 2nd flush of fruits soon. Hopefully we will have a warm Aug and Sept so they will taste good. I got an awesome second flush of Brandywine Suddeth's last year, but the fruit was unedible. Looked great....tasted bad.

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

I hope frost holds off well into Oct - the heat wave has caused a lot of blossom drop and I didn't have too much fruit set before that due to all the rain in June. I'm hoping for some "earlies" (not Independence Day, don't know what's going on with them, but Latah, Cosmonaut and Grandma's, cherries) by mid-August and the BK, CP and Rutgers by Labor Day? Brandywines and Mark Twain, Rose de Berne haven't set fruit yet though I am seeing blossoms (they started to bud after the heat wave broke a little Sat) so maybe Sept-Oct for those?

• sharonrossy
    10 years ago

I'm still waiting for some of mine to set fruit. At this point it's a waiting game. My BK took awhile, but I'm starting to get some fruit. That one is in the ground. My other container plants have varied in how long they either set blossoms or set fruit. I added a solution of vinegar and water because my ph was a bit too high and apparently this could help the absorption of phosphorus. I don't know this is a weird season.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    10 years ago

Its been extremely hot and humid in the mid Atlantic states for the last month. Last week was the worst. I think all of my plants took a break during the heat.

Unfortunately, I was away last week and my plants went a week without water. Few flowers or new fruit upon my return. However, the plants were green and healthy.

We have had much better weather the last few days. I think you will see more activity over the next few weeks.