Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Biggest One Yest

Posted by bigpinks 6SCOhio (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 25, 12 at 14:48

Its hard not to brag when your tomatoes do really well. This is the first yr for me with three of the dark tomatoes in the garden. Cherokee P, Indian S and Black K have really surprised me. Estler ML and Bear Claw weighed up to thirty ounces. Today I picked a bi-color that weighed 37 ounces. I had Mr Stripey, Hillbilly and Va Sweets so I dont know which it is. With 75 plants I have given away tomatoes every day now for three weeks. What a blast! Not to mention eating them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Biggest One Yest

wow good job / yeah thats the way are / were knee deep in tomatoes

o

Ah, gee, BP, send some up my way, would you? We're probably still weeks away from getting any ripe slicers (I don't count cherry tomatoes, they always start ripening much earlier.) My Estler's ML was the first to set fruit, but probably won't be the first ripe, which is OK... I'd rather the maters get nice and big. Glad to hear you are having lots of good eating down in your neck of the woods!!
Edie

o

Nice to hear from you Edie.....hope your big pinks are just that.

o

Beat my record yesterday. Had either Estlers or a Bear Claw that weighed 41 oz. Unbelievable.

o

Congrats, BP !

Suggest you watch out for the garden police who've been known to random check for veggie steroid use.

Cheers -

Will and the Furry Ones in the OC

o

For two weeks I ate only the dark variety but I cut a one half inch slice of pink tomato and applied it to a catfish po boy with baby swiss, light mayo and lettuce yesterday. I can testify that big can taste just as good as the small ones. I think maybe I hit the 6-10-10 about right this yr and mother nature did the most. It was hot and dry here for the first month with maybe two or three good rains....the tomatoes loved it!

o

• Posted by bart1 6/7 Northern VA (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 31, 12 at 8:07

I bet it was a VA Sweets. I had one about that size last year. I don't remember the exact weight but I know it was over 2 pounds!

o

Granddaddy Estler routinely got 2+ pounders so it could easily be your ML.

And, guess what? I found an ML hidden back in the back of the plant under all the foliage and it's about 1/2 ripe already. We'll be eating a BLT soon!! YAY!!!!!

Edie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here