Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristenhp

Best 2-3 Varieties for North Bay & Containers

KristenHP
9 years ago

I've recently moved from Dallas to Petaluma, CA. So a whole different set of challenges.

This year I purchased plants locally (we moved in June) and I'm very pleased with how they're doing (growing 'maters in Petaluma is a lot easier than in Dallas!)- but with the exception of the Gypsy and Purple Ball, they all have very sprawling habits, which is kind of a problem on my narrow porch.

So I'm specifically looking for indeterminate heirloom or non-GMO varieties that have a more compact and vertical habit suitable to very cool nights. I don't mind height but the sprawl is a little too much.

Comments (8)

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Would it be possible to post a photo of the plant so we have a better idea of the problem?

Otherwise there are any number of tomato varieties bred specifically for container growing, both hybrids and heirloom open-pollinated. Very few of them would be indeterminate types as determinate types will work better in a container - depending on the container size. And there is no such thing as a "GMO variety" tomato so it just depends on the size fruit and color of fruit you want.

Dave

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Aside from det and indet, I am growing a variety called Bush Steak, both in ground and in container. The one in the container has more fruits than the ones in the ground and it is about 30" tall. I will definitely grow it next year in container.

I personally cannot imagine myself growing an indet (that get over 7 ft tall) in a container.
    It is a matter of preference.

• fireduck
    9 years ago

I grow exclusively in containers. For the last two years I have spent much time improving my skills. I grow both indet and det maters. Indeterminates are no problem at all...if you provide great support and sizeable containers. My 20 gallon "Husky" plastic trash cans are ideal. I am not sure exactly what you want. Your comments about "narrow porch" concern me. How many hours of direct sunlight do you have. "Sprawling" tomatoes tells me they might be sprawling across your porch? I think they need a quality support system...to start. Give us more to work with and we can help you more. You have some good ideas above...

• KristenHP
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Let me be more clear. ;)

They get about 10 hours of sunlight a day and are in Earthboxes. Our porch is a wrap-around and is not especially wide (deep)- about 38" on the short side and about 48" on the long side, overall length is 12' short side, 16' long side. I have far more length to work with than depth. Instead of being solid, the railing is actually large gauge honeycomb metal grillwork, so considerable sunlight shines through even in late afternoon and it allows for excellent airflow across the plants. It's not the normal apartment balcony/porch. I'm slightly in love with it. ;)

By sprawling I mean they have very thin vines and a tendency to grow OUT as well as up, and require considerable staking/containment. I'm sure if they weren't trellised they'd be sprawling like my squash plants.

The Gypsy I have is more compact and very sturdy, despite being laden down with fruit.

• fireduck
    9 years ago

K...it sounds like you have a beautiful porch. I understand your plight...I think. If you are not opposed to hybrids (some are)...I can recommend Celebrity and Better Boy. Celebrity is a multi-award winner for several years. I think you might like it.

• Jennie Sims
    9 years ago

Kristen, I have been growing my tomatoes in containers for three years. I grow heirloom and OP indeterminates in large 15 gallon pots with 8 foot tall texas tomato cages around each pot. Works beautifully, but you are right, these would definitely be too large and sprawling for the size porch you have. I also grow at least 5 or 6 of the dwarfs from the cross hemisphere dwarf project in 5 gallon pots for a much smaller spce I have. They only grow max about 4' and are well contained in the cheap tomato cages. These might be the answer for your space. But you would probably have to start your own seedlings as I doubt you would find these plants at a garden center.
    Jennie

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Have you tired using actual cages (not the 3 ring things) on them rather than stakes? Much better support and lateral containment. I too grow some plants in Earthboxes but find the support system they sell to be useless. Using 5'6" CRW cages many of us make ourselves (lots of discussions here about them) works 100 times better.

As to varieties - if you grow your own from seed then you have hundreds of choices but if you buy your transplants then your choices are limited.

Tatianas Tomatobase lists several hundred tomato varieties suitable for containers, dwarf, determinant, semi-indeterminant, etc. but the majority of them have to be grown from seed.

Personally this year in containers I am growing Bella Rosa, Bush Champion, Bush Early Girl, Principe Borghese, Japanese Black Trifele, Better Bush, Margo, etc. just to name a few.

But in my Earthboxes I grow only 1 plant, not 2 and most of my containers are 15-25 gallon tubs.

You should also check all the tomatoes discussions over on the Container Gardening forum here for more suggestions.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: TT - Container Tomato varieties

• fireduck
    9 years ago

agreeing with dig on the containers, etc. Support is a major issue that often is not thought out by people ahead of time. I use the 4'x7' crw panels...suspended between t posts. It works pretty good. dig...how do you construct your crw cages?

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES