Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Emerald Ash Borer Found in Prospect & Naugatuck, CT - Press Relea

Posted by gumby_ct CT it says Z5 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 20, 12 at 14:49

While this may seem OT to some, I am sure there are others who have an interest. Just trying to get the word out.

A Press Release was just held ...

Emerald Ash Borer Found in Prospect & Naugatuck, CT - Press Release

New Haven, CT - The Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station (CAES) and the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP) today announced that the emerald ash borer (Agrilus planipennis) was detected in Prospect, CT on July 16, 2012 by staff members at CAES. The identification has been confirmed by federal regulatory officials in the USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, Plant Protection and Quarantine (USDA APHIS-PPQ). This is the first record of this pest in Connecticut, which is added to 15 other states where infestations have been detected. A new probable site of infestation is located in the Naugatuck State Forest. The beetle identification is unconfirmed. The emerald ash borer is responsible for the death and decline of tens of millions of ash trees from the mid-west to New York State and south to Tennessee. Ash makes up about 4% to 15% of Connecticut's forests and is a common urban tree.
"The detection of the emerald ash borer (EAB) in Prospect and probably in Naugatuck reaffirms that statewide surveys for this pest were necessary," said Louis A. Magnarelli, director of CAES. "We expected to find the beetle in areas of Connecticut across from infestations in Dutchess County, New York; however, the EAB has great flight potential and can travel in infested wood moved by people. This pest attacks all species of ash trees. Our immediate goals are to determine how extensive the Connecticut infestation is, notify residents in the Prospect and Naugatuck area, and implement strategies to slow the spread of the insect."

Read the more at link below -

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cornucop/msg071440334028.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Emerald Ash Borer Found in Prospect & Naugatuck, CT - Press Release

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Emerald Ash Borer Found in Prospect & Naugatuck, CT - Press R

I'm in upstate NY on the Vt border and if you could look in my back yard you'd see infected Ash trees, which is common around here. They leaf out, then the leaves turn black and fall off and then sometimes releaf out and sometimes not.

As I'm sitting here at the computer the one ash tree back there leafed out just fine and is still holding on to the original leaves.

What can I say, yes, I do think it's Off topic b'c it has nothing to do with the tomato Forum at all. And while I understand you wanting to get the word out about CT there are many folks in many states who already know about it.

Is there another Forum here at GW, like a tree Forum, where it might get the word out faster?

Maybe you already did that?

Carolyn, just trying to be helpful, really.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here