Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yellow inside tomato fruit

Posted by plants4chris 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 22, 09 at 14:52

I'm hoping someone will know the cause of my tomato problem. I've tried researching and came up with nothing. My tomatoes look fine on the outside, nice and red. But beneath the skin the fruit has yellow veining. The outside wall, just beneath the skin is often very yellow in large areas. The same symptom is happening on all 3 of the full-size indeterminate varieties I'm growing this year (not grape or cherry). I'm thinking it's some sort of nutrient deficiency or possibly the heat? I had this problem last year, but to a lesser degree. I would very much appreciate an explanation if anyone has one.
Thanks,
Chris

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yellow inside tomato fruit

Sun scald possibly. If you can maybe provide a photo.

o

Does it look like the medium sized tomato at 1:00? This is a bad example because it is more pronounced on less photogenic fruit, but I'm sure it's caused by heat here.

o

It could be cloudy spot caused by stink bugs. You may have a bad infestation of stink bugs where they're sucking on your tomatoes so much that you get a lot of yellow spotting.

Does it look like some of these pics?

Cloudy Spot on tomatoes from Stink Bugs

o

The yellow veining does look like Mohavebob's pic at 1:00, but it doesn't show through the skin like that. In other words, if I peeled the tomato it would look similar to that, but with the skin on it would be red and show no signs of the problem. Same with the stink bug pics. I'm pretty sure I would have noticed a stink bug infestation (yuk). (Thanks for that info - I have seen that damage on my tomatoes before and didn't know what caused it). Right now I'm thinking it must be the heat. I'm in zone 7 and we aren't having all that hot of a summer relatively speaking. I will try to post a pic. Thanks for the help!
~~Chris

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here