Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
njitgrad

sampling heirlooms

njitgrad
10 years ago

I went out of my way to get to a farmers market yesterday only to be disappointed. I was expecting to see at least one vendor with heirloom tomatoes, yet all I found was a table with some basic unknown red tomato. My goal is to sample heirlooms that I may be interested in growing next year. Any suggestions other than driving into Sussex County?

Comments (7)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Have you asked over on the New jersey gardening forum?

Lots of info online about NJ sources. Link below for one. Also check with any local gardeners clubs and any local aboretums about list of growers you can contact. There are also regional and local taste testings every year where heirlooms are very common. Contact your local county ag extension office. NJ has one of the best in the country extension services.

But as a general rule, heirloom varieties don't sell nearly as well as common hybrids so vendors don't offer them since making money is their goal. Folks are just shy about trying them. (See current discussion on the Veg. gardening forum titled "Why folks won't try new things".

It varies from region to region and they are far more likely to sell at mid-west markets where farming and gardening are greater than on the East Coast.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NJ Farmer's Markets

• kathyb912_in (5a/5b, Central IN)
    10 years ago

Do you think it could be too early in the season for a good variety of heirlooms? I don't know NJ, but here in IN, tomatoes are just starting to ripen (especially given the cool summer) and I haven't seen a large variety of them at our Farmer's Market either. But last August and September, I saw many different varieties from those very same booths. I would try again later in the season.

Oh, and it can't hurt to chat with the farmers and let them know what you're interested in. They should be able to tell you what they're growing and when they might be available.

• donna_in_sask
    10 years ago

I think some heirlooms ripen a lot later. I know I won't have any ready for several weeks. I went to a farmers market last year to buy some heirloom tomatoes (hoping to be able to save seeds)...$3.50 each! And they didn't even have the varieties named correctly. If you can't find a source, I think you'd be better off reading the discussions of varieties that are popular and order a few to try growing.

• thebutcher
    10 years ago

When I ordered my seeds from Rutgers they gave me info on a bunch of stuff, one of the flyers had a list of all the cooperative extensions by Rutgers.. Maybe they can help you.

Cooperative Extension of Sussex County
    129 Morris Turnpike
    Newton, NJ 07860-4913
    973-948-3040
    http://sussex.njaes.rutgers.edu/

Edit : Oops I just saw that you mention other then driving in Sussex, what county are you in? NJAES has all the counties listed, it is probably at rutgers.edu as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sussex County Ext/

This post was edited by thebutcher on Fri, Jul 26, 13 at 15:55

• Bets
    10 years ago

You can search this forum for favorite red, black, green, bi-color, heart, slicer, paste, canner, cherry, etc., etc. and you can pull up discussions of what tomatoes the growers on this forum like best.

Bear in mind that taste is subjective and it varies from year to year and due to growing conditions. In other words, a tomato that was great under good conditions, might be mealy, watery and tasteless in a year that has a lot of rain.
    That being said, others responses can be a guide to what you might want to try, or to avoid.

Betsy

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I have two heirlooms ( Black Krim and Brandywine), both are doing very poorly. Maybe it is my climate to blame. Everything else (all hybrids) are doing ok. The next year I have to be a bit picky about the heirlooms and OPs.

Any good suggestions for cool PNW?

• emmers_m
    10 years ago

Well, there's this:

Here is a link that might be useful: Rutgers Tomato Tasting