Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sharonrossy

Aunt Ruby's German Green advice

sharonrossy
10 years ago

Just wondering about other people's experience growing this one. So far I've got two healthy plants with no flowers or at the very least minuscule ones just starting. Everything else is growing really well. They are in full sun in grow pots, 20 gallons with the 5-1-1 mix, regularly fertilized and watered. Bloody Butcher, Cuor Di Bue, aunt Gertie's gold, brandywine Sudduth, black from Tula, orange strawberry, black Krim, Druzba, all producing.

Comments (9)

• Jennie Sims
    10 years ago

Hi sharonie,
    My ARGG is late also. I am in zone 7 and all my other tomato plants have produced ripe tomatoes or at least some blushing. ARGG just set fruit about two weeks ago. Must be a late variety.
    Jennie

• sharonrossy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It is and Carolyn, tomato guru, just told me on another site, that its one of the last to put out flowers and fruit, so I guess I just have to be patient. We also had a late start with awful weather. AGG is also on the slow side.

• monet_g
    10 years ago

It will be well worth the wait - a very tasty tomato.

• dodge59
    10 years ago

I bought 2 "Green tomatoes when ripe"
    One was Aunt Ruby's and the other was German Giant.
    Wife wanted to give one or the other to her twin sister, soooooo
    I did a lotta research on both, ---taste, production, reviews etc etc.

I decided to give the Aunt Ruby's to Sister in Law.
    It was a "Hard choice", but it looks like I made the right choice as the German Giant is loaded with nice size fruit as are most of my other maters.

I live in Yorba Linda, (close to Disneyland).

I bought the green mater when ripe so wife can make "Real Fried Green Tomatoes", I read that for a "True Southern version" of fried green tomatoes, one should use a green semi ripe mater, rather than an unripe red one----We shall see!

Gary

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

I bought 2 "Green tomatoes when ripe"
    One was Aunt Ruby's and the other was German Giant.

&&&&&

I think you meant to say Green Giant and not German Giant since the latter is a large pink fruited variety, not a green when ripe.

Actually most folks do use an unripe red or pink or whatever, for fried green tomatoes since many of the green when ripes have softer flesh.

You could try using a large unripe one such as your ARGG or Green Giant, and compare with unripe ones of other colors, if you want to.

Carolyn, who notes that GWRipe varieties are a fairly new discovery while the "south" and fried green tomatoes have been forever. ( smile)

• dodge59
    10 years ago

As usual You are Correct it is a Green Giant.

I googled "fried green tomatoes", and that's where I saw the post about "True Southern Style Fried Green Tomatoes" where they recommended using green when ripe maters.

Wife has been making them for many years using unripe red ones, so it will be "Interesting" to compare Red/Green fried green tomatoes. "To Me", some of the unripe red ones she used , tasted a bit like a "Tin Can"!

Gary

• sharonrossy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well I'm not from the south, but my mother used to fry green tomatoes which we would eat wrapped in pita bread (I'm Lebanese ). And that was years ago! So I am so anxious to try ARGG. Carolyn, it's starting now that we've actually had sun for a few days. ÃÂGG is also starting. Just hope squirrels don't get to them first.

• Jennie Sims
    10 years ago

Don't get me started on squirrels! I have a plant given to me by my husbands coworker. It is from her 90 year old neighbor who has been developing this tomato for years. So excited to try it and bagged blossoms in case it fantastic. Squirrels got the green tomatoes I had marked as bagged. So I filled the bird feeders up to keep them busy on the other side of the yard.

• fcivish
    10 years ago

Don't know about Green Giant, but Aunt Ruby's German Green is one of my favorite tomatoes. Really excellent flavor and beautiful, large green fruit with pink blush at blossom end. It is always a bit late, and I would be hesitant to grow it if I was only growing a half dozen, for that reason, but if you have room for a few extra plants, you should try growing it.

Ripe when green tomatoes are just that, RIPE, but with green color instead of red. I happen to like the flavor of a lot of them, but if you do a blind taste test with people, as I have many many times, no one can tell they green ones by the flavor. They just say they are good tomatoes. Then are surprised to see that they are green.