Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
To pick or not to pick? the question

Posted by mhall1 NC z 8 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 11, 11 at 14:59

I have some tomatoes growing on my still less than 2 feet tall tomato plants. They don't look sturdy enough to support a fully ripened tomato, and since I have had one plant bow over from the weight of a green tomato this morning and broken at the base of the main stem...they aren't.
My question is this:

Should I remove these early tomatoes before they have a chance to develop and break my plants? AND Will that have any negative effects?

What is the common practice for these types of situations?

Thanks!
Chelle

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: To pick or not to pick? the question

you need to support your plants. CRW (concrete reinforced wire) rolled into a cicular cage is the method of choice. doa search here.
The cone things from the box store are not too good. You need to give yor plants some kind of support!

o

Thanks for the suggestions and the link! I think my biggest question is do people normally remove the first early tomatoes from immature plants?
I have seen hints of that practice here and there, but no definitive reasoning.
What, if any, besides the prevention of breakage of my plants, (which I have staked by the way), is there for doing that?

It was as I walked out to stake them that I found the broken plant...I knew better than to wait so long, but had to purchase the supplies...and I am on a dime-sized (husband-controlled) budget...so it waited until I was able. THE COST = One (1) tomato plant.

o

I would let them be. I let almost all of my plants sprawl,mulching thick with pine needle.Sure, I lost a few brances here and there,but the cost behind supporting plants can be expensive. The tomato plant has a mind of its own. To me, there is a reason those tomatoes are there in the first place. In my opinion, alot of the techniques and practices derived by humans are questionable in regards to actual results. Plants however,for whatever reason, stay firm and consistent.

Take care,
Travis

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here