Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catman529

First Black Krim

catman529
14 years ago

{{gwi:1365009}}

Now while you sit there and salivate, I'll say it's my first time growing this variety, and so far it is a great tomato. The flavor is very unique, and I love it. Definitely a must-have for next year's garden.

Now I could have posted this in the latest Tomato Pictures thread, but it needed its own place at the top of the page. ;)

Who else is growing BK this year?

Comments (10)

• jwr6404
    14 years ago

I have one plant in a 20+ gallon container. BK,in my case,appears to be a very heavy producer which I didn't expect. I had actually considered thinning it out leaving 10-12 tomatoes but laziness has gotten in the way and your post has caused me to change my mind.
    Jim

• kandm
    14 years ago

Since I live in an area with a mild winter I started a bumper crop on tomatoes, including the Black Krim, on June 1st. I'm planning to hardening them off this week and get them into the ground by the last week of July. Hopefully they will not start blooming until temperature goes down to the mid 80s.

I am glad I went ahead and planted some, the Krim look amazing and I'm not sure if I could wait until next season!

• catman529
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It is a great tomato. I just like smelling the slices, almost as much as I like eating them.

I've got high hopes for Indian Stripe, which hasn't ripened any fruit yet.

• tammysf
    14 years ago

I have a black krim and am surprised how prolific the plant is. I read it had great flavor but am pleasantly surpised by how many and how big the tomatoes are. They are my biggest tomatoes (bigger than big beef and marvel striped). I have about 30 large toms on one plant and about 10 are bigger than tennis ball some as big as baseballs.

I really can't wait to eat this one.

• sunnyside1
    14 years ago

I have about 14 heirloom/hybrid tomatoes in raised beds. My one Black Krim was planted in a large planter. It was doing great but then got wilt on half. I have cut off the wilted part and am watching it. There are about 5 green tomatoes on it, so if I have to pull it up, I may have one or two come to red color. Keeping fingers crossed.
    I'll try it again next year based on your comments.
    Sunny

• structure
    14 years ago

I have two in swc, but one turned out to be a "mystery" variety...that's what I get for buying nursery seedlings! However, the other is prolific, though none have blushed yet. FYI, BK doesn't seem to like being in a swc. Looks very sad for early July. Next year one goes in the ground!

• noinwi
    14 years ago

I have two in containers, but no ripe ones yet. I've grown it before and love it!

• rnewste
    14 years ago

Black Krim has been far more productive than my Paul Robeson:

Black Krim--------------------------------------------------------Paul Robeson

Black Krim--------------------------------------------------------Paul Robeson

Dear Wife prefers Black Krim, and I prefer Paul Robeson - go figure!!

Raybo

• missemerald
    14 years ago

I was just checking out the posts here, and fixing to ask something about Black Krims when I saw this one. I am also growing Black Krims this year; I purchased one plant at a local greenhouse and subsequently rooted two of the suckers from the plant (they aren't very big yet). Anyway, my BK is setting fruit and I wondered, when do they turn "black"? So far,they are just green and I assume they ripen to dark but I have no experience with this variety (my daughter was fascinated with the idea of black tomatoes). Do they get red first, then all over black, or ripen somewhat streaked, like the photos posted earlier here? One more thing, my mom wants to can tomatoes this year, but does not know if the black ones will work well with the others. Has anyone done this?

Thanks for the help!

• catman529
    Original Author
    14 years ago

missemerald -

They ripen like a normal red tomato, except that the red color is somewhat darker and there may be dark green shoulders when ripe. Mine started from the blossom end, like many other tomatoes, and ripened upwards and gradually reached a deep red color with green shoulders. I could have let mine ripen a couple more days to let the shoulders darken some more, but I was impatient. ;)