Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amateur13

tomatoes not growing/ripening

amateur13
10 years ago

My Early Girl and Better Boy tomatoes set their first fruits about 5 weeks ago. The tomatoes haven't grown much and only around two inches wide. The other tomatoes seem to be fine. Also, my sungold tomatoes are about full size but aren't ripening. I remember last year at this time I was already eating tomatoes but now I'm way behind. What could be causing this and how can I get them to grow/ripen faster?

Thanks

Comments (2)

• seysonn
    10 years ago

The difference, could be the weather and temperatures. In warmer, sunny, dry conditions tomatoes ripen faster.

I have an Early Girl that was planted early May, with tiny fruits on it(67 days ago) now some of its fruits are breaking color.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

What could be causing this and how can I get them to grow/ripen faster?

Any number of factors could be causing it. The unusual weather this past spring is the most obvious for most growers. Nutrient availability, soil moisture levels, excessive soil moisture causing root rot, sun exposure, the variety, stress from pests or weather, etc. etc. etc.

However, expecting ripe fruit within 5 weeks from fruit set is not realistic. Tomatoes run on an average of 6-7 week cycles and the average # of days between fruit set and ripening is 52-60 days. So patience is required.

What you can do is insure adequate nutrients and consistent but not excess soil moisture. The rest is determined by the genetics of the variety and the weather for the most part.

Dave