Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomatoes look like they were individual tomatoes became a cluster

Posted by mlugi NE Ohio (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 15:23

I started my own Rutgers tomatoes this year. The plants look good but the green tomatoes look like there were two or three individual tomatoes that grew together into one tomato. The bottoms of the tomatoes have numerous crevices making them real ugly. Is this a disease or what am I doing wrong. Any help would be appreciated.
Marv

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomatoes look like they were individual tomatoes became a clu

Could it be catfacing? Not a disease, but unsightly and hard to use the fruit when it's like that.

o

Maybe you had a megabloom or fused blossoms. They turn into really weird looking tomatoes!

Linda

o

Tends to happen when the temps are cool at the time of pollination. Not a disease, and nothing you did.

I remove most of my "ugly" catfaced/fused toms when young so the plant can put its energy into producing new fruit or focus its energy on the fruits that aren't jacked up looking.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here