Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
red/yellow mottled fruit - ripening or disease? (pics)

Posted by jessicabauer84 AR 8A (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 12, 12 at 15:40

Hi Tomato Growers!

I have a question. I notice all the tomatoes I've plucked off the vine have a bit of a mottled red/yellow look. At first I decided it was just the ripening process, since the full ripe color eventually works its way up from the bottom. Today, though, I made the mistake of googling and came across pages that said "destroy entire plant" when mottling is present, indicating spotted wilt? The leaves look fine and the plants seem healthy (other than a few browning spots from the sun and a few stink bugs).

What do you think?

These are Early Girls, but I see this on my Arkansas Travelers as they begin to ripen, too. You can see a few of them in my basket in the last picture. Thanks in advance.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: red/yellow mottled fruit - ripening or disease? (pics)

Looks like stink bug damage to me. Have you seen any babies on them?

o

I agree with the Deborah. If it is stink bugs, with that much damage you should be seeing them everywhere. Also the shoulders are green......not sure what causes that, but I have green shoulders on some of my tomatoes too. Get rid of the bugs and you should be fine.

o

Hey everyone. The fact that I'm NOT seeing them everywhere is what's gotten me nervous that it may be something else. Maybe mine are just sneaky? I just went out this evening and squished two, but that's all that I saw.

Would you suggest pyrethrin for stink bugs? Or just a search and destroy approach?

o

For as few as your seeing, search and destroy seems right. But the spots on the tomatoes, if it is stink bugs, looks like more than just a few. As you know, every place they stick their needle and suck out the juice leaves a little white spot. Normally on my tomatoes there are larger white spots where a bug will work over an area for a while. The speckled nature of your tomatoes makes me think it's not stink bugs. I would definitely spray with Sevin or at least some type of bug spray anyway.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here