Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spaghetina

brown scabs all over newly formed, green fruit (not ber) - pics

spaghetina
13 years ago

I was just inspecting all of my new little green tomatoes on my Cherokee Purples when I came across one plant that was putting out fruit that look like they're covered in mottled brown scabs. They're not round scabs, and they're not black, and they're not just brown and smooth, although it looks as though they start out that way and then turn into scabs as the fruit gets a tiny bit bigger. For reference, both of these fruits are smaller than a quarter, and the smaller one is closer to the size of a dime. Does this look like TMV? That's the closest thing I could find on all of the diagnosis websites. And if it is, should I be afraid that it'll spread to my other plants? It's in its own container, so I can yank it out now, but it's very close and even has some leaves touching the plants surrounding it, though they're not showing any of the same symptoms.

Comments (8)

• korney19
    13 years ago

Is there any browning or spots on the stems or vine?

• spaghetina
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I just went out and looked, and the stems and leaves are all perfect. There isn't even any leaf curling, which some of my other plants in containers have. There are several more fruits on the plant still though, and they're all exhibiting the same brown, mottled symptoms.

Could it be the beginning stages of TMV?

• anney
    13 years ago

That's what it looks like. Other tomato fruit diseases are shown here.

• torquill
    13 years ago

I'm wondering whether it may have been the heat. I've seen tiny fruit (smaller than a dime) abort when the temperature soars... it looks rather like the epidermis got cooked or damaged, then cracked as the rest of the fruit kept growing. It would affect the most-exposed fruit, probably, though I've never seen quite that effect before.

TMV is unlikely without foliage symptoms of some kind, and affected fruit typically stop growing, which means they wouldn't have that cracked-scab effect. I'd take a wait-and-see approach. Be careful to touch or brush past these plants last, and wash your hands after handling them; watch for any mottling of the leaves, growth distortion, or further fruit symptoms which affect all of the fruit on the branch or plant. If two weeks pass without seeing any other oddities, I think you can chalk it up to unusual environmental conditions.

--Alison

• spaghetina
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I segregated it from the other plants yesterday evening, and will give the wait-and-see approach a try, thanks Alison. :) The plant really does look very good, but it hasn't been all that hot here, compared to as hot as it's been in other parts of the country. I'm hoping that it'll just be these first fruits and that everything else that comes in will be ok, but I've been really careful not to touch the plant and then touch anything else just in case. I should actually move it even farther away from its brothers and sisters, I think, so I'll go do that now.

• spaghetina
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Some (not all) of the new foliage is now starting to show some weird symptoms of a bit of brownness, but they're not showing that patchy chlorosis or curling up (aside from some leaf roll that I've given up trying to completely control). I'm so puzzled as to what this could be.

I'll try to get some photos of the leaves a bit later, and maybe some other ideas will pop up.

• kidonike
    11 years ago

I know this post is really old. but did anyone figure this out?

My cherokee purple are doing the exact same thing! I'm stumped!

• harcourt
    11 years ago

Let the plant soil dry between watering. I think you are keeping the roots wet for too long.