Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
einniv

Will stalled tomato growth resume later?

einniv
9 years ago

I'm a first time gardener growing in containers on my patio, here in Ohio. One of the plants is a San Marzano tomato plant in an 8 gallon pot.

It has looked pretty healthy (except for some leaf curling near the bottom of the plant) . It has been setting fruit for about 3 or 4 weeks now and last I bothered to count had 25 tomatoes on it. The sizes vary from quite big to very small.

A week or so ago we had some near 90 degree weather for a few days which followed 4 days of soaking wet cloudy days. Since the wet days the tomatoes themselves have completely stalled in their growth. The tiny gumball sized ones are still gumball sized a week later. Ditto for the medium and large sized ones as far as I can tell. One large one turned orange and now another is well on its way, but no growth of the tomatoes (there has been some new leaf and stem growth).

Will the tiny ones resume growth after the large ones ripen? Or, is the plant stressed and those will probably stay at the size they are for good? I'm asking because I assume if they aren't going to grow any more it would be best to cut off the ones too small to eat.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!