Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
macky77

intriguing tomato trellis... anyone tried it?

macky77
15 years ago

I came across this page one day and thought this trellis method looked interesting enough to maybe try next year with some bushy determinates. What do you think? Has anyone here tried it?

Scroll right down to the bottom of the page. I'm referring to the 'H' supports in the last paragraph and last drawing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomato trellis

Comments (10)

• holly-2006
    15 years ago

I remember seeing pics from someone using that method last year, but I can't remember who. Now it's going to drive me nuts...

• ebbmc
    15 years ago

Hi macky
    I developed this system a few years ago.I find its the best for my purposes.Serves as a season extender and requires very little work after set up.Also stores on the side of my barn for winter.Not sure if I`m the one Holly remembers.I posted a write up and photos a few years ago.
    Ebb

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomato trellis system

• holly-2006
    15 years ago

Yes! Those are the pics that I saw - really neat setup. I'd try that myself if I had more room.

• macky77
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Superb, Ebb... thank you! I'm definitely going to try this next year and I can show hubby your photos so he knows what I'm talking about. :) How far off the ground was each level of wire? What did you use for those stakes? How far apart did you space the plants? Were you able to put your toms out earlier in this mini greenhouse? TIA! I'm going to try and squeeze my tomatoes into a 4 x 20' area next year.

• tracerracer
    15 years ago

Looks like 6' T-posts on the right and 4'T-posts on the left (our right and left) ;o) I can't remember if T-posts come in 4' (which would pound down to about 3', too short for what I use them for, so I don't pay attention, sigh) So I may be off in my guess....I would think you could use the size that fits to the 'typical' size of your plants.......I missed that discussion (sp?) Glad it cam back up...........T

• ebbmc
    15 years ago

The stakes are standard 6 foot metal posts purchased at Tractor Supply but can be had at any hardware store.I now have
    8 foot stakes as 6 footers were to short after being pounded in the ground.I set my tomatoes out about 3 weeks early after the grow tunnel has warmed the ground for a couple of weeks.Be sure to open the ends on sunny days or you can fry the plants.
    Ebb
    Levels are about two foot or so.The wire is standard CRW panal cut in half.

• macky77
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much everyone! :)

• allenwrench
    15 years ago

ebbmc...What do you use for the layers of trellis material between the posts? Is it wires or nets? How is it connected to the posts? Do you can all the tomatoes and make sauce?

I have been using stakes this first year as I am a new gardener. Having lots of trouble. The plants keep growing all over and they break branches. Hard to tie it all up on one stake. Looking for a better way.

Are cages any good? I dislike storing them cause I have space issues, but stakes seem to be no good.

• macky77
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I've been using spirals for indeterminates and large peony cages (i think that's what they were labeled as) so far. If you're trying to stake a determinate, you'll need multiple stakes. If you have an indeterminate, it likely needed more pruning (to two or three stems), which would make it easier to tie. I'm trying to stake my indeterminates this year simply because even with the large cages, it just gets so cramped in there. Hence my search for another way. With indeterminates, however, I've really loved the tomato spirals. The vine grows up the middle of the spiral - with guidance of course - and there's no tying necessary. :)

• ebbmc
    15 years ago

Allen
    I use standard CRW (concrete reinforcing Wire).The posts have hooks on them.Some I got at a yard sale did`nt have them so I used plastic wire ties.Cages work fine but are hard to store.
    Ebb