Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing In Black Kow

Posted by grow4free none (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 18, 12 at 15:54

I'm having no luck with potting mix. Have tried Sta-Green and MG Moisture Control and Organic. Haven't tried the basic stuff yet. But might if it goes on sale.

I'm not going to spend a lot of money to make my own or buy the high-priced stuff. Looking for something cheap and widely available.

Black Kow claims you can grow a tomato in the bag. Any reports from anyone trying this or using in a container? Having experienced extremely restricted growth in everything I've tried, I'm thinking straight compost will have the same problem. But maybe Black Kow works great.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing In Black Kow

Are you sure you want to grow tomato in a container? Tomatoes have deep roots and you need to water the tomato plant deeply for optimal growth. I personally use organic fertilizer from miracle grow. Hope this helps

Here is a link that might be useful: Grow Organic Vegetables

o

Well .sorry to say its not the media its the grower.

o

Dickiefickle, I've noticed you aren't the smartest guy in the world. But thanks for your feedback regardless of his uselessness.

o

I am smart enough to know there are thousands of successful growers who use the products you listed who don't experience extremely restricted growth in everything they try to grow as you stated you do.
So... the grower must be doing something wrong

o

In my mind, the stuff you've been trying IS the high priced stuff.
My plants are nothing more than 2 good sized shovel fulls of aged horse manure (2 year) in every hole. The plants are healthy and the fruit is plentiful.

There's a single cherry in a container with nothing but aged horse and it has done just fine also.

Hard to beat the price on it.

o

Well fickledickle, if you knew much about potting mixes, you'd know that all of the varieties I referenced are 50-50 at best. Some have good success and many don't. If you look at ratings of them online, they all rate very low. But they do give a money back guarantee and I took advantage of it and bought it with that in mind since it was on sale.

Now, if you have anything to say about growing in Black Kow compost, feel free to add your opinion. But if you have nothing to offer, why comment?

o

I agree Hankjr. I wish I had access to horse manure because I've seen other reports such as yours. I'd like to give it a try and it's just the right price.

o

i dont grow tomatos in pots but i do grew basil in them and i bought a $10 bag of MG mix and it was terrible mostly chunks of wood and some fluffy brown stuff not sure what it was/ went thru 2 packs of seed trying to get it to grow with no luck / finally dumped it along the back fence row and got a diff brand and got basil growing like mad / so yeah you can get bad potting mix

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here