Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Staking Tomato Plants

Posted by herbalcroft 10 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 3, 14 at 15:56

Hello. Is it absolutely necessary to stake tomato plants? We planted 38 tomato plants in landscape fabric and I'd prefer to let them fall down in their natural growing habit. Is this such a bad thing? Thanks, Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Staking Tomato Plants

From what I have read they will be more prone to rot if the fruits touch the ground.

o

Maybe in arid warm climate it is ok to let them sprawl . This way the roots an fruits will stay cooler. But with humid and rainy environment supporting tomatoes is required, if you don't want disease and rotting.
JMO

o

The leaves will come into contact with many more disease microorganisms on the ground. Good air circulation around the plant helps reduce disease, and there will be less air circulation if the plant is lying on the ground, so more diseases.

When I've had volunteer tomatoes in my compost area, the loss of fruit to bugs was many times what I would normally see with staked plants. And in those conditions, I could pick less fruit because the vines/leaves/fruit were lying all over the ground and many fruit were unreachable (unless I wanted to step on the vines/leaves/fruit to get to them).

Now that said, I'm in WNC, where it can rain at any time (at least, it can during the Wet Years), while you are in zone 10 -- and if that's a dry Zone 10, you may not have so many problems with critters on the ground as I do here?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here