Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best green when ripe - yield?

Posted by ReedBaize Stephenville, TX (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 26, 12 at 16:09

Limited in my personal space to twelve plants. I cannot sacrifice yield. I know it varies from area to area but, of the varieties listed below, which have you had the highest yield from? These are the varieties I currently have seeds from.

Green Giant
Moldovan Green
Emerald Evergreen
Malachite Box
Humph
Aunt Ruby's German Green
Big Zebra
Dorothy's Green
Spear's Tennessee Green
Cherokee Green
Greenwich

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best green when ripe - yield?

Malachite Box, Cherokee Green, and Green Giant are most likely to produce a crop of the varieties you have listed. This takes into account your location in TX.

Suggest you broaden your horizon. There will be a new one available next year from Sandhill named Bold Green. Get a few seed and try it.

DarJones

o
RE: Best green when ripe - yield?

Agree with Darrel in my zone 5 area as well and in addition to those three I think I'd add Dorothy's Green as well.

Sometime I think you should try some of the GWripe cherries and of those I suggest.

Green Doctors and/or Green Doctors Frosted
Green Zebra Cherry ( not from the variety Green Zebra)
Verde Claro

All of the above cherries are very high yielding.

Carolyn, who notes that a couple of us predicted the GW ripe fad would follow the black fad and that has happened and I couldn't be happier since I've grown one heck of a lot of GWripe varieties and love the tastes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here