Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Removing the stuck blossom on developing tomatoes

Posted by sharonie 5b (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 16:10

I know this sounds like a ridiculous question, but in order to avoid or reduce cat facing, those blossoms that stick to the developing tomatoes, sometimes in weird places on the fruit, should those be removed or left alone?

I was just checking my plants, finally getting some decent fruit going, and I can see that some are going to have cat-facing. I also see the blossoms stuck and wondered about it. When I looked up cat facing it mentions that it happens when the blossom sticks because of cooler temps during development. Although we had a couple of cool nights, I guess it must have had some effect. So do I leave well enough alone?

Thanks, always something to learn!
Sharon

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Removing the stuck blossom on developing tomatoes

I don't know if there's a right or wrong answer to your question.

Personally, if I can see the tomato and the blossom is just stuck on the end of the fruit, I'll remove the blossom in a gentle manner. If the blossom won't come off, I'll just leave it.

o

Those clinging blossoms on developing fruit will fall of eventually, so just leave them alone.

They have nothing at all to do with catfacing since that occurs when blossoms are pollinated under several circumstances, and without pollination and fruit set you wouldn't have the nice immature fruits that you have right now. ( smile)

Carolyn

o

Thanks, I figured as much. Also heirloom tomatoes aren't meant to be picture perfect as far as I can tell.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here