Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Incredible Summer in The PNW

Posted by seysonn 7b WA/HZ 1 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 16:13

What an incredible summer. I love it.
Are you having one too ?

As you can see in my profile , the Heat Zone where I am gardening is the lonely number "1". What that means is that statistically there will be 0, 1 or 2(at the most) summer days when the high temperatures will reach or exceed 86F (30 C).

Surprise ! During this month of July we have had over 10 days with highs reaching 86F and higher. And as you can see in the image below , more is to come in August. On top of this we are not getting much rain either . That is very unusual here, in this neck of the woods, in Western Washington.

This is great for tomatoes, peppers and all the heat loving garden plants. I regret that I did not plant Okra.

The amazing thing is that with all these heat waves, our night lows remain in 50s.Incredible !

THAT'S INCREDIBLE !

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Incredible Summer in The PNW

• Posted by planetes 7b (Cascadia - PNW) (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 18:26

While my tomatoes love this weather, I'm glad I work 2nd shift. I hate the heat. On the positive side, I always know this is temporary and I'll get more comfortable weather in a matter of a few weeks.

o

My local forecast (Sammamish) shows a continued weather pattern for the next 7 days before it returns to normal. But I consider it good for my tomatoes, peppers and eggplants. Maybe not so much for cucumbers.
So I'll be busy watering as needed. Today I harvested like 2 -3 lbs of tomatoes. No more red in sight now on my plants . Everything is green. We will see how long it will take for the red to return. I am guessing 3-4 days.

o

My forecast is a bit more temperate. Low to mid 80s for the next four days with upper 70s after that. Where I live it's not uncommon for us to go from June to August with no rain at all. I think we're somewhat under the influence of the rain shadow up here in Whatcom County. I'm picking a few saladette sized tomatoes every day and my SFTs are coming in fast and more of a small slicer size. I have a good blush on my first Black Krim as well, and faint blushes on a couple more. This weather seems just about perfect for my tomatoes. They really didn't like when we were pushing 90.

o

Just off the east slope of the cascades (Okanogan River Valley), I think we've had a record number of highs above 100 degrees. Most of my tomato plants are having massive blossom drop, with the exception of my cherry tomatoes, Early Girl, and Opalka.

This post was edited by nugrdnnut on Sat, Aug 2, 14 at 14:27

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here