Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brown and crunchy leaves on tomato plants....

Posted by dancinglemons 7B (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 30, 11 at 16:24

Hello all,

My 2 Italian Pear (IND) tomato plants put out a bumper crop this year and until about 3 weeks ago were lovely green plants. Then the leaves began to curl, then yellow (not spots) and then die and turn crunchy, I decided yesterday to pull all of the remining tomato fruit and severely prune the plants. I removed about 98% of the leaves - healthy and crunchy. I did a soil drench with 5-5-5 fertilizer and I sprayed with fungucide -- almost to dripping. I've never done this before and wondered if anyone has "bought back to life" a tomato plant that was in pretty bad shape. At this point it is an experiment.

BTW - I was not able to determine what the particular disease may have been. I cut open the stems - nothing there. I inspected for bugs - one corn ear worm. The fruit were perfectly OK except for some catfacing. I grow exclusively in containers (EarthBox) so moisture was not a problem. (Automatic watering system in place.)

Anyone???

Cheers,
DL

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brown and crunchy leaves on tomato plants....

I had brown crunchy leaves, whole branches hanging dead in place and it turned out to be Tomato Russet Mite, which you cannot see with naked eye. I saw pix that Raybo posted from same deal last year, and googled it to make the diagnosis. With Mites, they went up the plant, one branch after another. Sulfer powder put a stop to them. Prior to that, I was thinking maybe one of the wilts. Linda

o

Thanks one and all. I googled TRM and found lots of photos and information. The photos look EXACTLY like my plants. I am going to work on them starting today. I will take pictures of 'before' and 'after'.

Cheers,
DL

o

DL - Exactly my experience. I am so thankful to this and other forums and the members for the wealth of knowlege and information available. Last year my season was over in July. This year, thanks to forum members, like Raybo, my plants are flowering and setting again. LInda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here