Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
njitgrad

how do YOU enjoy your first tomato?

njitgrad
10 years ago

The wait is killing me. But when the day finally arrives, here's what I do....

First I make sure no one is around (yes, I'm selfish when it comes to my first tomato).

Once I pluck it and give it a quick rinse, I grab my pairing knife, a plate, and some sea salt.

I go sit out on my deck, anywhere in the sun.

I make the first slice, watch the juices ooooze out. Then I sprinkle a little coarse salt on, slowly open my mouth, and then let the warmth of the sun trapped within the fruit permeate my taste buds while I struggle to keep a slow place savoring every bite.

Thirty seconds later the tomato is history. Yeah, is usually ends up being short and sweet (or slightly salty in my case).

This year it will be extra rewarding because its my first year starting any and all plants from seed.

Comments (12)

• sjetski
    10 years ago

Similar situation here, but the first ripe tomato is usually a mini-event where i end up sharing :)

I keep the first one simple, mostly to judge flavor. A couple of wedges go down plain, a couple with salt or basil. Wifie is more the salad type.

Steve

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

Since my first tomatoes are usually cherry tomatoes, I just pop it straight from the plant into my mouth - still warm from the sun ;-)

• lisound
    10 years ago

My large tomatoes, which i just picked one of today. My first of the season, was still not ripe but started to crack from this intense heat so I cut it off.
    It will go on a large rare roast beef sandwich with lettuce and mayo, salt and pepper.
    I can't wait!

• njitgrad
    Original Author
    10 years ago

On a roast beef sandwich...I'll have to add that to my list.

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    10 years ago

I take the salt shaker with me to the garden. I wipe it off with my mostly clean T-shirt, sometimes I take a wet rag and/or lick it so that the salt will stick, then eat it like an apple!

• njitgrad
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wertach, I love the Neanderthal approach. Sometimes I do that too. But just not the first tomato.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    10 years ago

I made a sandwich with my first tomato this year
    now drooling for more...:)

• MzTeaze
    10 years ago

By making a fresh mozz & tomato with pesto salad.

• lehua49
    10 years ago

Y'all,

Nothing like a good BLT with thick crispy bacon and an even thicker tomato slice, well maybe two. Smack. Aloha

• imscattered
    10 years ago

njitgrad -- do you realize how "sensual" your description of eating your 1st tomato sounds?? LOL!! Reading all these....only tomato freaks could understand the excitement!!

• imscattered
    10 years ago

njitgrad -- do you realize how "sensual" your description of eating your 1st tomato sounds?? LOL!! Reading all these....only tomato freaks could understand the excitement!!

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

OK, first beefsteak - usually just sliced thick with salt eaten standing up over the counter/cutting board. But later in the season, BLT without the BL (toast the bread so it doesn't get too soggy from tomato juice, I don't normally eat mayo but 1/2 tsp is good on tomato), or else a slice of white American cheese instead of mayo, but then have to pop the sandwich in the MW for 10 secs to melt the cheese. Roast beef is good too.

We rarely use beefsteaks in salad - I love my Brandywines, CP and Krims too much to ruin them with dressing! But by the time we get ripe tomatoes the lettuce is over with anway (I'll have to try fall crop this year) so just tomato and salt as a side with dinner is fine.

Darn, I'm really craving tomato right now and all I have is store-bought cherries and some BW quarters I froze last year.