Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Got a tomato question

Posted by weaponx88 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 26, 12 at 16:37

Question.....I have several tomato plants and most are in 5 gal buckets and doing pretty well. I had planted a couple of my favorites from seed and put half the seedlings in buckets and the other half in the ground. The ones in the buckets are doing well and have blossomed pretty good as have my other buckets. The ones in the ground are ENORMOUS in size and very green with nice thick stems and guessing twice (or more) the size of the ones in the buckets but have VERY few blossoms, barely anything at all but the plant itself looks absolutely beautiful in size and color. Seriously, why the difference??? You'd think the ground planted ones would be blossoming like crazy but it is the other way around??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Got a tomato question

Because the roots are bound in those small buckets.

Plant your next ones in 20+ gallon Smart Pots with good potting mix and you have the best of both worlds.

o
RE: Got a tomato question

You say your ground based ones have few blossoms? I had this problem a few years ago; incredible plants, healthy, robust, dark green, and BIG! But few blossoms and few tomatoes. A master gardener laughed and asked me how much I had fertilized and with what. He told me to get a soil testing kit, which I did. My NPK were all very, very high. The culprit was too much nitrogen. The tomatoes put all their effort into growing, not producing fruit. Even if using the same fertilizer product in your garden and your pots, the N could be higher in your garden soil than the pots because in your pots the N will leach out faster. Oh...and I have had tomatoes (not dwarfs or cherry) produce very well in 2 gal pots on my deck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here