Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thebutcher_gw

Hornworm found Please Help!

thebutcher
9 years ago

Hey all, about 20 minutes ago I was checking on the maters and found 1 hornworm with white things on it. I didn't hesitate and I cut the whole branch off.

I know this is a topic posted several times, but this is a dire need of time for first precautions on what I should do when I go back out this evening.

I took several photos under and over the leaves and will double check.

Thanks All.

- Mr Beno

Comments (18)

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

There was no need to do anything to that one much less cut off the whole branch. He is already dying and just doesn't know it yet. Plus if you had let those wasps survive to hatch they would have been very helpful eliminating any others you might have.

So what should you do next time? Leave any that look like this alone. If you find any without the egg cases on them just pick them off and stomp on them. If you can't make yourself touch them, snip them in half with scissors or pruners. But leave the plant stems/branches alone.

Otherwise, like all the other posts about them advise, pick up some Bt dust (Dipel) and dust the plants.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Hornworm discussions

• itzj
    9 years ago

I just relocate them away from the garden. I prefer not to kill bugs if another solution works. So far moving them to another area of our property is working fine.

Google hornworms and sphinx moths. You'll find info about tomato vs tobacco hornworms and how the tobacco ones turn into cool moths.

• thebutcher
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks again Dave and Thanks itzi,

What I did prior was that I cut off the whole brange put him in a clear plastic chinese soup container and poked wholes on the lid. however the downside about wasps is that I am highly allergic.. But I will save the tomato plants even if I get stung.
    I must of took over 100 photos so far and still annalzing them, and gona recharge the battery and take many more.

-Mr Beno

• labradors_gw
    9 years ago

Parasitic wasps are quite small and I don't think they would sting you.

You might want to check for more caterpillars on your tomato plants though.....

Linda

• thebutcher
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Linda,

I saved them in that jar and once hatch I will release them. In the mean time I am breaking out my GoPro video camera and gona inspect every inch of the 12+ plants. It is probably a good thing to do because It is attached to a pole and I can get a view of everything in HD. The neighbors will think I am nuts though.

Thanks again everyone.

• SmokyMist
    9 years ago

I never kill a hornworm, as it morphs into a beautiful moth...just relocate it. I did one last night.

• ryseryse_2004
    9 years ago

I never saw anything beautiful about a fat brown hornworm moth. Well, except a dead one.

• thebutcher
    Original Author
    9 years ago

a detailed video to appear soon on this thread, I feel like Bill Murray playing Carl Spakler in CaddyShack. But no one messes around with my tomatoes and peppers ;)

I will do my best not to harm any hornworms/moths but if it gets ugly, then that is the way that it has to be! LOL

- Mr Beno

Here is a link that might be useful: This is me trying to spy on a pesky squirrl a couple of years ago

• lkzz
    9 years ago

Parasitized...good for you.
    Wish ours were...just pull off the non-parisitized and dispose of.

• thebutcher
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks again all, I checked today and will again this evening, so far so good.

Here is the video that I took, I think it is cool because you can really check out your tomatoes inside and out for anything. Plus I have so much fun making the videos and playing music to it.

PS it is long and probably pointless but if you are board then watch it :)

EDIT: also to note, you can slow the speed down with youtube so when you film your maters. It comes in handy when a picture does not do. Just get a HD camera with at least 60 FPS.

Here is a link that might be useful: Post Hornworm inspection

This post was edited by thebutcher on Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 16:44

• nanelle_gw (usda 9/Sunset 14)
    9 years ago

That squirrel one was a hoot!

• LillyoftheValley2
    9 years ago

I definately would have just picked the worm off using tweezers if you are squeemish about touching them. They just look intimidating though. I believe in the circle of life so I feed them to the birds by throwing them in a clear area. Problem solved for me. I have attached a link for another resource for gardening problems. Good luck to you!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Help getting rid of garden pests fast and easy

• michelliot
    9 years ago

I too, found a couple of hornworms on one of my tomato plants yesterday. One was already impregnated by numerous wasp larvae so I left it there to feed the young ones. The other I plucked off and put on my bird feeder but the little finches and sparrows were afraid of it. I then brought it to the front of my house. Laid it on the side walk and almost immediately, a couple of robins were fighting over it, jostling as to who found it first. Went in to show my kids but the sparring birds and juicy victim were gone when we returned. All part of the circle of life.

Keep searching, those beggers are the masters of camoflage.

• labradors_gw
    9 years ago

Yuck! That site wouldn't come up for me. All I got were ADVERTS!!!!!

""Here is a link that might be useful: Help getting rid of garden pests fast and easy""

Linda

• garf_gw
    9 years ago

No one tells me to be kind to hornworms. I have experienced the damage they do. When I find them, I grab the scissors and go to work. Sometimes I cut the head off, sometimes I cut the tail off. When I feel mean, I slice them in half lengthwise. I have lost a lot to these things.

• michelliot
    9 years ago

yeah, I have to admit it was quite satisfying seeing those robins pecking away at the intruder

• thebutcher
    Original Author
    9 years ago

For a follow up, I took photos on July 16th, and noticed this on my Rutger's Ramapo F-1, a friendly Wasp or Bee taking control. I just got back from a business trip and looking over the photos.

Even though I am allergic, I guess they are my friends now.
    - Mr Beno

• thebutcher
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks again all, and tonight I spotted another hornworm.

No More Mr Nice Guy, these things are going down!
    noticed 3-4 spots on a leaf prior taking photos earlier today. After the photos it was getting dusk so I could not pinpoint him. But knew where he crawled. I just Hope my new friends the "wasps" take care of him after my appointment tomorrow..

- Mr Beno

Sponsored
Home Rescue Contracting
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars14 Reviews
Loudoun County's in Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions