Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tanzi_nite

Picked first red Brandywine today!

tanzi_nite
16 years ago

Just had to share with people who would understand my excitement! To my knowledge, I've never tasted a Brandywine before and the anticipation is killing me :) This one isn't completely ripe, but I couldn't stand it any more, was afraid something would happen to it outside, lol. So now it's sitting on the counter to ripen completely. Can't wait! BLT's? Sliced with salt? MMMMMM, may have to try it lots of ways.

BTW, this is a potato leaf variety, and was labeled simply "red brandywine", and was planted in mid May here in my zone 5a garden. We've had a great year for tomato growing. The plant has at least 20 more fruits on it.

Comments (11)

• wolfwalker
    16 years ago

I was raised on a farm and been gardening for 55 year and i feel the same way ever year. driving my wife nuts bringing in a new ripe tomato for her to try. lol

• elkwc
    16 years ago

The real Red Brandywine is RL. But there is a PL version being sold. I'm growing it this year along with the RL version. I'm told the PL version produces well and is a nice tomato. Let us know. Jay

• tomatovator
    16 years ago

Red Brandywine should have regular leaves. I'm not sure what the potato leaf one actually is. I don't think it is true Red Brandywine. Maybe it will taste good however. Post your opinion of it after to get to taste it.

• gonefishin
    16 years ago

The red Brandywine that I have is regular leaf. The size if the fruit is smaller than the BW Sudduth which has large pink fruit. I have picked a few almost ripe, will probably try one tomorrow to see what I think about the taste.
    Bill P.

• bigdaddyj
    16 years ago

I have grown all three Red Brandywine's in the TGS catalog.

The Landis Valley is the true Red Brandywine.

The large PL and RL "Red Brandywines" are nice large tomatoes but certainly not in the Sudduth Brandywine class regarding taste.

I no longer grow any of the "Red Brandywines".

• nctomatoman
    16 years ago

Red Brandywine is not at all related to Brandywine. (it really creates a confusing situation!). Red Brandywine is a regular leaf variety of medium size, quite smooth in form, with a well balanced, fine flavor. Brandywine is the large, oblate, pink potato leaf variety that was made popular by Ben Quisenberry (he obtained the variety from the Sudduth family) - it is amongst the best flavored tomatoes of all.

Unfortunately, there is a real mass/mess of confusion regarding the various tomatoes with the name Brandywine included!

Craig

• carolyn137
    16 years ago

The Landis Valley is the true Red Brandywine.

As listed at TGS yes, and it's not a strain as Linda has it, for there are no strains of RB.

(The large PL and RL "Red Brandywines" are nice large tomatoes but certainly not in the Sudduth Brandywine class regarding taste.)

Again, those two that are listed together as Red Brandywine are not Red Brandywine. Both have followers b'c they are good tomatoes and that's why TGS continues to list them but I do wish Linda would take the Red Brandywine name off them and I've suggested to her that she do that.The PL one was widely distributed by Seeds of Design and so there's lots of PL RB out there and it isn't RB.

Red Brandywine, the true one, is a fine variety. A few places that carry the correct one are Heirloom Seeds in PA where Tom Hauch was the first to get RB out of the SSE Yearbook and offer it commercially, and the one listed at Sandhill Preservation is also correct. There are other sources that have the correct one as well, I'm sure,but those two sources I can vouch for.

Carolyn

• bigdaddyj
    16 years ago

When I wrote:

"The large PL and RL "Red Brandywines" are nice large tomatoes but certainly not in the Sudduth Brandywine class regarding taste".

I didn't mean to jumble it up that Brandywine was related to Red Brandywine. I meant only to say that those two faux Red Brandies in the TGS catalog were good tomatoes but not as tasty as say a Neves, Pruden's Purple or Brandywine IMO.

Sorry if I confused anybody...:)

Craig, years ago you sent us Nepal seeds and they are very close to Red Brandywine in every regard. I had better luck with Nepal than the TGS Landis. It always amazed me how close those two varieties are!

• nctomatoman
    16 years ago

I actually like Nepal better than Red Brandywine - I find it has better flavor by far; it is rounder, more solid (though by no means too firm or hard) - just a fine main season medium sized red. In my soil, Red Brandywine stands up to disease a bit better - that's really its main advantage, to me.

• tanzi_nite
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here's the verdict on taste...................delicious!

Not too sweet, not too acid, just right for my taste buds. But then again, all I've had so far this year are Sun Sugar cherries and some pretty tasteless Celebrities. We planted the Celebrity because of its disease resistance, but it tastes very bland to me. Haven't had any disease problems this year with ANY tom, so I need to branch out next year and get some flavor!

Anyone care to give suggestions on what to plant next year and where to obtain the seeds?

• HoosierCheroKee
    16 years ago

Why not try all the red Brandywines that TGS has to offer? That way you can find the one that suits you best!

Bill