Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jay_power

"Bleached" splotches on my tomato plant's leaves

jay_power
10 years ago

Hello everyone!

My name is Jay and I am a brand new member of this forum. I decided to join while trying to search for information about the issues that I am having with my tomato plant.

Let me start by saying that I am a complete novice when it comes to gardening but want to learn more and become more knowledgeable. As is probably the case with many (if not most) people who join different kinds of forums, they (and I) find myself here because of an issue that I need help with.

I have attached a photo (and can provide more if asked) of my tomato plant that I just bought Saturday, from Home Depot. When I first brought it home, it looked perfectly normal but by yesterday I noticed that the leaves look almost like they have been "bleached", and it is definitely worse and more noticeable today than it was yesterday.

The soil seems to be moist, so I don't think that I have under watered it. I tried to do a google search but could not come up with anything that seemed to be exactly what I am having an issue with. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

This post was edited by jay_power on Mon, Jul 8, 13 at 17:02

Comments (10)

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    10 years ago

Hard to really see the plant clearly, but it looks like sun damage. Decks, and small pots can get hot. How big is the container? 2 gal, 5 gal? From the camera angle the pot looks small.

• sjetski
    10 years ago

I'm thinking the same as edweather, likely sunburn.

Were the plants sitting in a fully shaded spot at the store you purchased it from? If so then unfortunately they have to be re-introduced into the sun slowly. Sometimes as little as a 1/2 hour of direct sun on their first day, then upped in increments on the following days ~ 1 hour, 2 hours etc, it all depends on how much direct sun they've been exposed to in the recent past.

If those leaves are sunburned then they are not likely to survive btw, your plant may survive if it can send up new shoots, but you'll experience an overall setback. You would probably get ripe tomatoes faster if you replaced the plant, heck the store may even allow you to return it.

Good luck either way.

• jay_power
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you both for your quick replies. The sunburn seems to be exactly the case. The plant was NOT out in the direct sun and then I brought it home and it got 7+ hours out in the direct sun.

And yeah, the plant is in a 2 or 2 1/2 gallon pot.

So I think the problem is solved, thank you both, again, so much for your feedback. I can say that I learned something new and important today!

• vjwarner
    9 years ago

Hi,
    In my search for help I discovered this post. Below I have a similar problem however my conditions are different. They, yellow cherry toms, are in the ground, I hardened them in full sun. The other plants all seem fine.

Any thoughts on what else could be the matter? Also I've fertilized them 2x, in one month, w/ Miracle Grow tomato plant food. Perhaps this may have burned the leaves? But again the other veggies and herbs are fine.

Any and all help is appreciated.
    Vjwarner

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I think that plant in the picture has bee affected by herbicide.

Have you or your next door neighbors used Round Up ?
    Tomato plant is super sensitive to certain chemical.

At any rate, there is nothing you can do after the fact but just keep in mind for the future.

• oldlady59
    9 years ago

I think the rest of the plant looks too healthy to have been hit by any roundup.

• carolyn137
    9 years ago

The picture shown by vjwarner shows the exact same picture as the link does below for Roundup damage, the initial symptoms.

And I've seen it myself when I cleverky used some to clean up the weeds between the rows before a Master Gardener class was coming.

The two most prevalent herbicide damages to tomato plants are roundup and 2, 4 D, but the latter shows a completely different picture as to damage.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Roundup damage

• ncrealestateguy
    9 years ago

Roundup damage. Early stages. I have seen it many times. I have seen 2-4D damage many times too. This is Roundup damage.

• vjwarner
    9 years ago

Thanks for the replies! I don't think it is herbicide as I and my neighbors do not use any. I've never even heard of Roundup. It's quite a mystery. I'll see how they do and hope for the best.

Thanks everyone!,
    Vwarner

• ncrealestateguy
    9 years ago

If it is not Roundup damage, then it could be one of the Mosaic viruses.

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks