Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What critter is eating my green tomatoes?

Posted by dragonfly73 NC (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 16:58

The bite seems a bit distinctive. I've had a problem with Canadian geese in my yard. I used to see raccoons, but I haven't seen one around in a long time. I've also seen a few opossums on and off and my cats catch other small rodents. There are also a lot of rabbits around. None of what I have seen really seems to match this bite mark though...

Guesses?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What critter is eating my green tomatoes?

• Posted by LKZZ 7b (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 17:36

The top bites look like mice/rats but the bottom tomatoes almost look like a human bite. I did see an image on Google that looked like the bottom tomatoes...there was no ID but at least it tells you that it is not uncommon.

The link below may be some help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Identifying Animal Damage to your Gardens

o

This one looks a lot like a goose beak.

o

I concur with LKZZ, the bite pattern looks like rat/mice damage. Birds go for ripe fruits and they make different pattern.

o

I just noticed too that the last pic has the same little triangle shaped "tooth" marks at the top as the bottom left tomato in the "bitten" picture, almost like something did it all with one "bite" .... or "bill". The bite marks are probably 1.5 inches wide or so. Whatever it is also ate an entire blueberry bush to the ground and also om nom nom'd all my squash seedlings. Time to set up a camera!

o

It is possible it was deer. They get a bite, do not like the taste. Move to eating something else. They tend to eat cucabit vines roots and all most times. If so soak some tampons in ammonia then tie them to some stakes in the corners, and set a few in the middle. Redip them when they dry out. That should keep any critters out. I was once in an area where bears, and moose would devastate a garden quickly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here