Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sharonp68_gw

Need help! Roma tomatoes dropping before ripe?

sharonP68
10 years ago

I am desperate to find an answer as to why my Roma VF tomatoes are dropping before they are mature and ripe. The color breaks when the fruits are not full size and they fall on the ground or fall off the vine when barely touched. The vines are absolutely LOADED with fruit and we were looking forward to a bountiful harvest.

Once they fall, I bring them into the house to finish ripening out of direct sunlight. They do ripen a bit, but they begin to dry out/shrivel before fully ripe (see the picture). The tomatoes on the left have been in the house for three days. The tomatoes on the right fell off today. You can see how small they are compared to he nickel.

Here are some details:

These plants were grown from seed and planted out in our raised beds which were amended with 2" of compost (cow and mushroom). We also added the recommended organic fertilizer per planting hole. We grew the same tomatoes under the same conditions last year with GREAT success.

The weather conditions this year are vastly different. Last year, we were under severe drought conditions and I had to water deeply every few days using soaker hoses. This year, we have had a LOT of rain and cooler temperatures. We haven't noticed any pests (hornworms or aphids) either.

We are growing three different tomato varieties from seed (Roma VF, Super Sweet 100, and an heirloom called Siberian Pink Honey). We have no problems with the other varieties and we're stumped. Does anyone have any clue as to what the problem is? Not enough fertilizer? Too much water?

You help and expertise will be greatly appreciated!

Sharon

Comments (7)

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Can you post a picture of the plant?

Often ill plants hurry up on ripening their fruits. Also damaged fruits ripen up faster and fall off. We have seen this in apples and other fruits with worms. I would cut those tomatoes and check if there is a worm hole or other insect damage on them.

• sharonP68
    Original Author
    10 years ago

All the plants appear healthy...

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Usually green shoulders and uneven ripening as shown in your pic is caused by excessive heat but you say it has been cooler than normal.

Then the next most common cause of those symptoms is excessive sun exposure on the fruit yet your plants look like the fruit is fairly well shaded by foliage, at least those in the photo. So when you bring them in are you placing them where they can be hit by the direct sun on the kitchen counter? That would explain it so make sure they are kept out of the sun.

As to the fruit drop - quick release - that too can be weather related and is also triggered by excess nitrogen as well as several other plant stressors. It isn't actual fruit abortion but the cause is similar - plant stress so it sheds the fruit.

That stress could be just the "lot of rain" effect on the roots and cooler temps - which you can't control of course. Just make sure there aren't any stressors that you can control and then hope for an improvement in the weather.

I think all of us who had a bad year last year due to drought held out high hopes for this year thanks to the early wet spring. Unfortunately because of the ongoing wet weather and cooler temps few of our hopes are coming true. Little comfort I know but it's the nature of gardening some years.

Dave

• sharonP68
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dave,
    As always, thank you for your help! I'm just so frustrated after having such wonderful success last year with this variety (10 quarts/38 pints and many, many eaten fresh). This year, they aren't shaped the same (more pear-shaped than the oblong ones we had last year). It is different seed, but same seed source and variety.

I'll update this post as the season continues.

Here's hoping there will be a change in the weather and we all have a better harvest than we thought!

Cheers!

• esbo
    10 years ago

Some very nice pictures there, I am growing some Roma too and those pics may give me some help as to when they are ripening, they seem to go from a lighter to a darker green first.

Cannot really off any advice on the toms though, at least not expert advice.

All I can suggest, on the positive side is the that the plant knows best and decided to drop those fruits, perhaps because it had such a big crop? Too may mouths (tomatoes) to feed? But why would it drop them? Well maybe if they rotted on the plant the whole plant might become diseased?
    Sacrificed for the greater good?
    I am just guessing of course, I am a novice grower, just trying to apply some tomato logic.
    I guess it remains to be seen how the plant will get on.
    There is picture of my Roma in the linked blossom end rot thread. I am just wondering how long that big one has tell it ripens. I think some of mine fell off last year too, but they were all hit by disease. I would consider ripening ones falling off a success, none of mine got that far before disease set in!!
    I'm in the UK though and they are outside, so I was never expecting much, I started earlier this year and am hoping things will be better this year as the weather has been better (sunnier) too. All my plants are twice the size as well, it's like a jungle out there!!!

Best of luck with the rest of them!!

Here is a link that might be useful: my pic in blossom end rot thread

• C Baker
    7 months ago

I am having the exact same thing happen to my paste tomatoes. Other tomato varieties are not falling off. I am thinking the rainy weather, and the very cold nights which began in early August here in NH. I, also, am growing under the same conditions (type of beds, compost, etc as the prior year, when I had a terrific harvest with hot sunny days).