Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dragonfly_field

should I move this volunteer tomato?

dragonfly_field
9 years ago

This cute little thing popped up in my flowers. This was obviously a veggie garden before we moved here. It looks really happy but I'm wondering if I should dig it out and put it in a pot because it's squished right in between marigolds and the boarder of the garden. I have never grown tomatoes and i know nothing about caring for them so could use any advice I can get! Thanks in advance!

Also I have tons of tomato seedlings popping up. I can't possibly keep them and don't have money to amend soil and start another garden otherwise I'd move my flowers and just let these grow here.

Comments (9)

• dragonfly_field
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry it's sideways

• labradors_gw
    9 years ago

You could leave it where it is. I don't think the Marigolds will compete with it for nutrients, and it will be happier left in the ground.

Linda

• plaidbird
    9 years ago

When the photo is sideways, readers can click on the picture and it opens in a new window, right side up. I think ? this happens when they are uploaded from phones and such.

Cute little tomato. I agree, it looks very happy there. I would probably put my mid size step ladder, that's currently in the wings awaiting it moment, next to it and let it climb up and towards the sun. Thus keeping it up off the ground and out of harms way by passersby. But any sort of improvised 'ladder' will do.

Good luck with the little fellow. :D

• sharonrossy
    9 years ago

I would keep the plant where it is. Just feed it on a regular basis with an all purpose fertilizer if you can, and it will need some support as it grows, a tomato cage or stakes. You can just let them grow and see what you get!

• scottsmith
    9 years ago

I would leave it.

Anything you get is a bonus.

• ddsack
    9 years ago

I agree with leaving it, it's roots will grow deeper than the marigolds can, so it should be okay. From the leaf form, my guess is that it's some kind of cherry. Let us know how it does, and what kind of tomatoes you get. What a fun surprise in your new garden spot.

• kathy9norcal
    9 years ago

I had a couple growing in my flower bed and put one in a large pot. It took almost no time for it to be 5 feet tall. It is a cherry from last year but I don't know if it will be yellow, orange, or black cherry. I will know in a week or so. Fun to be surprised.

• michelliot
    9 years ago

They ARE fun. I have at least a dozen volunteers growing all around my back yard. In the past, I used to discard any split toms by just chucking them over my shoulder. Had a couple pop up last year but this season they're sprouting all over the place. Most seem to be cherry or grape tomatoes. My prolific sweet 100 cherry tomato plant is currenty experiencing a fungal issue. I'll do what i can, but knowing that I will be overwhelmed with cherries later in the season, I'm not too too concerned.

We'll see what develops.

• dragonfly_field
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry I'm so late in responding! Thank you everyone for the advice! I have left it there and need to find support for it. It's huge already and is making lil tomatoes. I will let ya know what they turn out like. Now I have tomato plants popping up all over the place one in my petunia bed and I last counted over 100 seedlings coming up under my sunflowers. A friend is coming to take some most will need to be pulled. Half way wish I hadn't planted anything there now haha. Another is coming up across the yard by a fence in a random spot. So funny! And yes such a fun surprise!