Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thebutcher_gw

My ugly tweaked out garden

thebutcher
10 years ago

My unorthadox garden. She isn't pretty but putting out fruit.
The other side is my inground ones, I will show that side after. In the green rubermaids are my Kellog beefstakes which I thought were goners but starting to take off a bit. I just got more plant food :). The grey grow bags are the Ramapos and a 4th of July. And the small black and white ones are my hot peppers that were planted late. On the other side is my Black Krim which is not visible but starting to produce and a nother 4th and Ramapo.

PS: I just got my twine and bought more green stakes :) Now just waiting for the duct tape lol and ther are about 5 more 5 gallon grow bags on the front side. And was thinking since I used the old lady's chairs to support the maters, I thought of another idea of putting the peppers on top of the seat.

Enjoy

- Mr. Beno

Comments (11)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Hey! Putting out fruit is the point, right? :-) As long as that happens the rest is sidelines.

Only one suggestion to consider maybe for next year - they appear awfully close together and better spacing on the containers might get you better air circulation and more pollination. The fence restricts the air flow so you want to maximize it.

Just something to consider. Enjoy all your tomatoes.

Dave

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    10 years ago

Your tomatoes look good. When did you plant your peppers?

• thebutcher
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Dave, Ed and the rest that helped I Couldn't of done it without everyone. My backyard has a huge tree so only 1/3rd of it gets light most of the day, that's why I have to grow on that side.

Also it slopes downs and that is why I put that Black mulch where the containers are. It turns into a swamp after rain. I think I put about 10 Cu foot of that mulch, I tried to make it level.

Next year gona chop down the tree possibly but there are many birds that live there. I will only do it if they peck at my stuff.

The peppers Ed were planted last week and 5 of them yesterday. I re-potted most before I planted to 1/2-1 gallon before for the majority. I know it was late but I had no other options really. On the front side of the house I have my Bells in buckets.

Edit on teh photo: I found a use for the sap wood that I pulled out. I just go tto place them better and thinking of putting 1 or 2 "4th of july" there for the heck of it.

Thanks again for all the help,
    - Mr Beno

This post was edited by thebutcher on Sun, Jul 28, 13 at 20:43

• thebutcher
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just got back after a few days of Biz and found some new friends. The Black Krim is in there and fell off as the old lady says plus saying she was enjoying tomatoes for dinner and lunch. Black Krim plant doing well though and my Yellow Kellog doing well as well but no flowering yet (But planted late). The rest are the Ramapos and 4ths just picked and the first few in the front I picked about 4-5 days ago.

- Mr Beno

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Your Garden looks great.

What is your expectation of those pepper seedlings ?!

• thebutcher
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Seysonn

My first year growing peppers so not to high lol. But with all the help from this comunity would put me far ahead of someone who has not been here with more years of growing.

For example I gave my brother and his neighbor 5 of those 20 gallon bags for tomatoes and gave them instructions of what I learned here and they too are working out well. Now his other neighbor "joe know it all gardener" I gave the same varieties and instructions along with my brothers cleaning lady. The "joe know it all" neighbor planted 2 plants in a long 5 gallon container and 1 tomatoe plant in a 2 gallon container and did not have proper drainage and no plant food and was wondering why they were not doing anything and yellowish lol. The funny thing is that the 2 gallon container had a Kelloggs Yellow Beefsteak in it. He also showed me another pot which was about 3-4 gallons that he was gona plant up, I laughed. I think it was a mop pail.

The cleaning lady with the same plants but put hers in 5 gallon planters with out drainage with soil I think. She was wondering why her plants were not working lol I guess know matter what you tell people they won't listen.

• bltlover
    10 years ago

Haha! I'm sure its true for all peoples, but what we say out here in Berks Co is
    "You can always tell a Pennsylvania Dutchman. You just can't tell him much!"

Lots of people just don't care to listen!

• thebutcher
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Very funny and I am not to far off from you. I am here in Bucks and been to Lancaster many of times along with the others for the dutch. You got to love Kingpin lol.

• yukkuri_kame
    10 years ago

Even if you get little production from the peppers, you can probably overwinter the peppers indoors and have a bumper crop next season!

• mister_guy
    10 years ago

Small peppers like that make excellent lush green houseplants over the winter, and go crazy in the spring when it warms and you transplant them to a larger container or the ground.

• thebutcher
    Original Author
    10 years ago

many thanks for the advice. Now will those pepeprs grow in the winter with T-5 lights? I have a 2 ft jump start one and may invest in something larger. Plus my basement has 5 shop lights installed that are dual 4ft bulbs, I would just have to get new bulbs?

Also yesterday I noticed my Yellow Kellog took hold, I didnt think they would make it and did nothing for a month. I thouight it was the container but appears to be doing fine now. It was planted over a month ago. In the bottom photo is my Yellow Pequin, the red thing is the tag from it's solo cup ( I love recycling) lol

Ok im out and will be back tomorrow or Monday. I got to go to a clambake and eat a 2 1/2 pound maine lobster :D